A conversion factor is a rate used to convert from one unit of measure to another unit of measure, where the types of things being measured are the same (for example, length to length or weight to weight). Only the units are different.
- Find a conversion factor that you can use to convert inches into centimeters.
- Use your rate to convert 9 inches into centimeters. Check your answer using the ruler.
- Find a conversion factor that you can use to convert centimeters into inches.
- Use your rate to convert 25 centimeters into inches. Check your answer using the ruler.
- Use the ruler to find the conversion factor of inches per centimeter or centimeters per inch.
- Would the number of inches be more or less than the number of centimeters for the same length?
- Once you have the rate, what operation do you need to use to make the conversion?
- Can you use a double number line or a ratio table to help you make conversions?