By the end of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Describe the importance of good writing skills.
- Define “academic writing.”
- Identify key differences between writing in college and writing in high school or on the job.
- Identify common types of writing tasks in a college class.
- Define what instructors expect of a college student’s writing.
- Understand and utilize writing-process steps in the development of academic writing.
- Differentiate between revision and proofreading, and explain the value of each.
- Know where to get help with your writing.
- Identify strategies for ethical use of sources in writing.
- Understand the special demands of specific writing situations, including in-class essays, group writing, and online.