Why instructional design?
Instructional design is the design of learning experiences--the intentional planning behind the lesson. After learning how to create OER, the next question is what goes in the OER?
As an experienced educator, you already have lots of great ideas and content. If you feel most comfortable teaching face-to-face, you may not think of yourself as an instructional designer. But the truth is that in all teaching, we are constantly making decisions about the design of learning experiences.
Recall your process of designing your favorite face-to-face class:
- What does your design process look like?
- Where do you start?
- How do you know if you're on the right track?
- What design considerations do you make along the way?
- How does it feel when you've finished designing a successful lesson?
- What makes a lesson successful?
The goal of this session is to apply the instructional design skills that you already have to your OER.