Webinar One Discussion Board - Sharing Quickly and Longer Term

by Joanna Schimizzi 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Discusison Board Tip: Please reply directly to this prompt by clicking "reply" below. You will only see the "Reply" button if you are logged in and a member of the group.

Prompt:

1. What do you envision that you could share quickly with this group?

2. What might you want to work on to share that will be a longer time vision?

Tonya Nolan 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Use the advanced search setting to look for OER info. 

Looking for an easier way to search.

Alexandrea Stritmatter 7 months, 3 weeks ago
  1. What do you envision that you could share quickly with this group? Ideas, enthusiasm, advocacy

2. What might you want to work on to share that will be a longer time vision? Promotion of OER, assistance to others attempting OER, and success stories of OER usage (hopefully!).

Shelley Decker 7 months, 2 weeks ago

I love your response to the first one! So enthusiastic and that's all I bring to the table at this point, too.

Joe Faykosh 7 months, 3 weeks ago

1) I think I have a lot of enthusiasm for the project and I am willing to experiment with various sources and examples to see what works best. I hope to be a good sounding board for my CAC colleagues!

2) I feel like during this process, I will be confronting the three different project types: adopting, mixing, and creating, and I am honestly intimidated by all three at the moment. But confronting them, and coming out on the other side, will be exciting! 

Tatiana Keeling 7 months, 2 weeks ago

I feel a bit intimidated by the process as well, Joe.  Let's overcome this challenge together!

Ella Melito 7 months, 3 weeks ago

1) OpenStax is a great resource for adopting a full OER: https://openstax.org/

2) Evaluating Manifold or Pressbooks as a remix platform for a more tailored OER that also allows department collaboration. 

Joe Faykosh 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Appreciate you mentioning specific sites that can be useful! 

Hi Ella.  Good to "see" you again.  Shelley and I checked out the OpenStax textbook your ENG 101 faculty use, and we really like it.  Thank you for sharing that resource.  

Adam Leighton 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Thanks for the resources! I'm doing a partial (but not necessarily remixed) OER soon, so openstax might be especially helpful for me.

Alexandrea Stritmatter 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Ella

I agree OpenStax is a great resource. I used OpenStax for an Introduction to Psychology class and it was wonderful! The students were able to discuss the textbook online in real-time. The students were able to help other students understand concepts in their "own language." ; )

Ella Melito 7 months, 2 weeks ago

We were excited when OpenStax release this Writing Guide. We have been jealous of other disciplines that used OpenStax. 

Christi Charters 7 months, 3 weeks ago

1. Finding some possible resources to use for my classes.

2. Long term vision is to "weed" through many of the resources and get them in one place for students to use.

Jacob Gibson 7 months, 2 weeks ago

"Weeding" through all the many resources is my current challenge

Michelle Estes 7 months, 1 week ago

Jacob -

Thank you for sharing your challenge.  Lets work together on organizing some resources on a MS Teams channel between us.

Michelle Estes

Lindsay Masten 7 months, 3 weeks ago
  1. What do you envision that you could share quickly with this group? I envision creating a web design course that is OER (self written) that is always up to date and can be used as a template for other instructors in my program. 

2. What might you want to work on to share that will be a longer time vision? I'd like to create an online book using Pollen (a programming language specifically for in-browser web-based book publishing) that I can use as an easily-updatable textbook for my Graphic Design I, II, and III courses.

Steve Ornelas 7 months, 3 weeks ago

1) A lot of excitement in learning more from everyone, especially those who have used OER!

2) I want to work on being able to first share the different licensing types and how to find resources to begin the process with my Psychology collegues! 

Michelle Estes 7 months, 3 weeks ago
  1. What do you envision that you could share quickly with this group? Willingness to learn and collaborate on best practices from a support lens.

2. What might you want to work on to share that will be a longer time vision?  Becoming the best advocate that I can be for my college and someone that faculty can depend on to support them in their OER journey.

Adam Leighton 7 months, 3 weeks ago

1. My pet peeves of traditional, non-OER resources.

2. A systematic plan for developing my own OER resources.

James Love 7 months, 3 weeks ago

1.  Looking for texts that reduce barriers for students and produce content that supports and values minoritized group's perspectives and experiences.

2.  Need more practice/exposure to copyright and licensing details

James Love 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Yes, I agree.  Finding quality sources that meet the copyright requirements is a must

Shelley Decker 7 months, 3 weeks ago
  1. What do you envision that you could share quickly with this group? I don't know at this point. I am still learning, so it is too early in the process to feel comfortable that I can contribute.

2. What might you want to work on to share that will be a longer time vision? I would hope that eventually I can share remixed or original OER materials.

Shandiin Deputee 7 months, 3 weeks ago
  1. What do you envision that you could share quickly with this group? Like many other people in this group, I have a ton of enthusiam toward this project. I really think that creating materials that are affordable is important for our students.

2. What might you want to work on to share that will be a longer time vision? In a longer vision, creating materials and hub for adult education material.

Tatiana Keeling 7 months, 3 weeks ago
  1. What do you envision that you could share quickly with this group? Echoing many other responses, I am excited about OERs and how far they have come in the last decade.  The resource I could share is the website Words Without Borders Campus Words Without Borders Campus (wwb-campus.org) which is a great resource for teaching World Literature classes.  I have been using it for years, and it has excellent free and easily accessible materials.  

2. What might you want to work on to share that will be a longer-time vision? I want to get practical information on how to effectively search, evaluate, and remix the existing OER sources, so I can communicate that to my colleagues.  I want to learn how to make this process the least intimidating and time-consuming so that we can effectively create OERs for our Composition courses and possibly a few other subjects.  

Nicolas Hanhan 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Hello Tatiana,

Without Borders Campus sounds like a treasure trove for World Literature classes. Your vision to streamline the search, evaluation, and remixing of OERs for Composition courses is ambitious and practical. 

Best 

Nick 

Jacob Gibson 7 months, 3 weeks ago

1. A few tips for helping students feel invested in the OER materials they are provided

2. Arizona is reimagining general education. Maybe we can work on resources aimed at the new AGEC criteria.

Hailey Richins 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Hi Jacob, I'd love to hear your tips for students feeling invested in the OER materials. When students are invested they get way more from their learning and are more likely to apply what they learn. 

Jacob Gibson 7 months ago

Essentially, I try to explicitly use/ refer to the material in class lectures and exercises. I'll use figures and examples from the book as much as possible. I'll fact check claims in our book during class. I have students check their understanding by reviewing the key terms. And in one of the books there are review questions that I'll draw on for creating assessments.

For some classes I have students do an outline of the readings.

I realize these are all related to a textbook, but I hope it helps! 

Danyell Dahn 7 months, 2 weeks ago

I believe you teach environmental science. I looked at The Habitable Planet. I'd like to check in with you about some thoughts I've had. Can I email you?

Tonya Nolan 7 months, 1 week ago

I hadn’t thought about students being invested in OER materials.  

Hello Jacob, 

Absolutely! Investing students in OER materials is crucial. Your tips could make a real difference in engaging them effectively

Best 

Nick 

Khaleel Abusal 7 months, 3 weeks ago

1. Sharing OER materials with the group.

2. Learning to create and maintain OER materials for specific courses. 

Khaleel, your responses are so clear - that's exactly what I want to do as well.  :)

William Mathis 7 months, 2 weeks ago

What do you envision that you could share quickly with this group?
I have adopted an OER text before but I feel overwhelmed with all the information and work I need to do to adapt multiple OER materials for a class.

What might you want to work on to share that will be a longer time vision?
I need a better understanding of evaluating and adapting OER materials for my classes. 

Shelley Decker 7 months, 2 weeks ago

It can be so overwhelming! Are you in it alone or do you have colleagues who are also interested? And what subject do you teach?

Danyell Dahn 7 months, 2 weeks ago

There is an environmental scientist in the group who I think I might be able to have a discussion with which would hopefully help both of us.

I want to help ensure collaboration on all scales (locally to globally) within my discipline.

Chantele Carr 7 months, 2 weeks ago
  1. What do you envision that you could share quickly with this group?

I have never adapted an OER on my own so I am looking forward to finding resources and using OER’s properly.

1. What might you want to work on to share that will be a longer time vision?

Finding another OER textbook for my Interpersonal Communication course.  I am not a fan of the OER text currently in use.  I would like to also find a textbook for my Intercultural Communication courses.

Suzonne Crockett 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Prompt:

1. What do you envision that you could share quickly with this group?  I envision being of support to our faculty.

2. What might you want to work on to share that will be a longer time vision?  Finding resources!

​​​​​1. What do you envision that you could share quickly with this group? Sharing resources with colleagues. 

2. What might you want to work on to share that will be a longer time vision? I'm particularly excited about collaborating to create OERs tailored to our college educational need