Which of the following is not true about enzymes:
- They increase ∆G of reactions
- They are usually made of amino acids
- They lower the activation energy of chemical reactions
- Each one is specific to the particular substrate(s) to which it binds
An allosteric inhibitor does which of the following?
- Binds to an enzyme away from the active site and changes the conformation of the active site, increasing its affinity for substrate binding
- Binds to the active site and blocks it from binding substrate
- Binds to an enzyme away from the active site and changes the conformation of the active site, decreasing its affinity for the substrate
- Binds directly to the active site and mimics the substrate
Which of the following analogies best describe the induced-fit model of enzyme-substrate binding?
- A hug between two people
- A key fitting into a lock
- A square peg fitting through the square hole and a round peg fitting through the round hole of a children’s toy
- The fitting together of two jigsaw puzzle pieces.