In groups of three, look at lines 6–14 of “Try Setting a Good Example” (“Nor can his relatives expect” to “the highest standard of cuisine.”) and discuss these questions.
- What are the concrete details that make this passage come alive?
- How do they help you believe Juvenal knows what he’s talking about?
Then, discuss these questions with your classmates.
- What was your favorite concrete detail that Juvenal shared?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how strongly do you think he felt about how parents deal with their kids?
- Do you know any adults as angry as Juvenal about this topic?