Swift's Attitude and Irony
Look again at the first sentence of the opening paragraph and answer the following questions.
- “It” is the subject, but what is the “melancholy object” that “It” is?
- Whom are “those” referring to? How does the reader know they are different from the melancholy objects that they see?
- What in this sentence provides evidence of Swift’s attitude toward both “those who walk through this great town” and the “objects” they see? Particularly note:
- How “great town” fits with what the reader sees.
- Why Swift uses the word object to describe the beggars .
- Other word choices Swift makes.
- What kinds of irony can you find here, and does Swift’s use of irony suggest anything about his attitude?