How could Spaniards obtain encomiendas?
- by serving the Spanish crown
- by buying them from other Spaniards
- by buying them from native chiefs
- by inheriting them
Which of the following best describes the Columbian Exchange?
- the letters Columbus and other conquistadors exchanged with the Spanish crown
- an exchange of plants, animals, and diseases between Europe and the Americas
- a form of trade between the Spanish and natives
- the way in which explorers exchanged information about new lands to conquer
Why did diseases like smallpox affect Indians so badly?
- Indians were less robust than Europeans.
- Europeans deliberately infected Indians.
- Indians had no immunity to European diseases.
- Conditions in the Americas were so harsh that Indians and Europeans alike were devastated by disease.