Summary of the Math: Understanding Graphs
Read and discuss.
- A situation can be represented by a graph.
- Each point on a graph represents a pair of values. In the race graph, each point represents the time and the distance that the racer traveled in that amount of time.
- Time is usually plotted on the horizontal axis. The farther right a point is from the origin, the more time has passed from the start.
- Distance is usually plotted on the vertical axis. The higher up a point is from the origin, the farther the racer has traveled from the start.
- A graph of a constant speed is a straight line.
- Steeper lines show faster speeds.
Check your understanding.
- What does a point on the graph represent?
- What does a straight line on the graph mean?
- What does the steepness of a line mean?