Re-Connect

by Joanna Schimizzi 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Hello everyone -

We are looking forward to seeing many of your at our Reconnect live today in this Zoom room. For those who can't join live, you can still rekindle some of your engagement with our Accessibility in OER series and network. If you're joining synchronously, we still would love for you to reply below so others can see your ideas!

Please share below:

• One big idea that is lingering with you from our series
  • One Accessibility practice that you are working on
  • One wish you have for how to incorporate accessibility into your OER work

Laura Yost 2 months, 3 weeks ago

1. How making accessibility changes improves the experience for all users.

2. Making sure heading sequences are accurate.

3. That faculty will be engaged and attend our professional development opportunities.

Maureen Madden 2 months, 3 weeks ago

My wish(es)...

• Financial backing.  Accessibility a generous line item in the budget.  
  • Easy access to tools, plug-ins, extensions
  • More embrace accessibility as a challenge worth taking
Kate Cameron 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Big idea: The large impact on all users when materials are made more accessible.

One practice: I'm working on a process for going back through existing materials and reviewing them for accessibility updates.

One wish: A good, clear, brief explanation for faculty as to why this work is important. Working on this!

Yasemin Onder 2 months, 3 weeks ago
  1. One big idea that is lingering with me from our series is the significance of the tools introduced, especially ANDI, and how they contribute to improving web accessibility.

2. Working with the faculties to make their course materials accessible and increase the awareness of digital accessibility why it is important.

3.  My wish is to make my OER work accessible and inclusive for everyone. This means not just making it technically accessible, but also creating content that meets diverse needs and learning styles. I want to provide alternative formats like audio, infographics, and summaries to support different ways of learning.

Brianna Chatmon 2 months, 3 weeks ago

1. Stable continounus funding for programming.

2. Creating basic easy follow along digital accessibility guidelines for Faculty to access 24/7.

3. One thing we struggle with is having a consistent group running the group we are apart of, biggest challenge is creating documentation that can be passed along and understood by new members so that there is no backtracking in understanding and teaching digital accessibility in OER.

Ally Jones 2 months, 3 weeks ago
  1. The curb cut effect! Accessibility is helpful for all.
  2. All of the text-related requirements for accessibility with documents. Headings, fonts, font sizes, etc. 
  3. I suppose my biggest wish is to generate more interest to engage others in accessibility with OER. I also am hoping to find more opportunities for professional development specific to OER and accessibility. 
Hannah Tooley 2 months, 3 weeks ago

1. The best ways to deliver training to our instructors/staff about how to make content accessible. How to get instructor buy-in for accessibility. 

2. I've been focusing a lot more on heading structure, and making sure alt text matches the real context of the image in relation to the content. 

3. Greater understanding of the end user experience when making documents accessible. I'm trying to improve my skills with using a screen reader. 

Brittany Jackson 2 months, 3 weeks ago
  • One big idea that is lingering with you from our series
    • The new tools I learned about, such as ANDI
  • One Accessibility practice that you are working on
    • Ensuring I don't use the Title feature in Word!
  • One wish you have for how to incorporate accessibility into your OER work
    • That I can make all of my coursework, materials, etc. accessible to all students without the need for accommodations.