Unit objectives due Friday, June 11

by Aubree Evans 3 years, 4 months ago

Please reply to this discussion board and post your objectives for the 3 units of your OER by EOD Friday, June 11.

Robin Dodds 3 years, 3 months ago

Robin Dodds 6/11/2021

(Course Objectives in alignment with CA ECSE TPEs)

Unit One: Understanding the Impact of a Child's Disability on the Family Unit

1.8  Understand the unique care, development, and learning needs of infants and toddlers and how to support their growth, development, and learning within the early childhood special education setting.

4.5 Identify​ ​each​ ​child's​ ​strengths, ​ ​preferences, ​ ​and​ ​interests​ ​in​ ​collaboration​ ​with families​ ​to​ ​engage​ ​the​ ​child​ ​in​ ​active​ ​learning​ ​within​ ​and​ ​across​ ​routines, activities, ​ ​and​ ​environments.

5.1 Demonstrate​ ​knowledge​ ​of​ ​age​ ​and​ ​developmentally​ ​appropriate​ ​purposes, characteristics, ​ ​and​ ​uses​ ​of​ ​different​ ​types​ ​of​ ​assessment​ ​(e.g.,​ ​authentic, play-based,​ ​dynamic,​ ​functional​ ​behavior​ ​assessment,​ ​family​ ​interviews, diagnostic,​ ​progress-monitoring,​ ​observational,​ ​and​ ​performance). 

Unit Two: Cultural Awareness and Developing Partnerships with Families

1.5 Communicate effectively and in a culturally and linguistically appropriate manner with families and other service providers to facilitate and strengthen ongoing partnerships and collaborations that can support young children’s learning goals and outcomes.

2.2 Promote children’s access, learning and participation in a variety of environments using models of support​ ​that​ ​are​ ​strengths-​ ​based, ​​family-centered, ​ ​and​ ​culturally and linguistically​ ​responsive.

6.7 Effectively​ ​articulate​ ​the​ ​rationale​ ​for​ ​instruction​ ​and​ ​intervention​ ​plans​ ​through culturally- and linguistically-appropriate verbal​ ​and​ ​written​ ​communications​ ​to and with​ ​family​ ​members, ​ ​other​ ​service​ ​providers, administration, ​ ​and​ ​other​ ​stakeholders. 

Unit Three: Family-Professional Partnership for a Positive Preschool Transition

1.11 Facilitate​ ​the​ ​continuation of young children’s learning progress​ ​​ ​across​ ​multiple​ ​contexts​ ​and​ ​transitions including a variety of​ ​environments​ ​e.g., (home, ​ ​school, ​ ​community,​ ​hospital),​ ​and​ ​people​ ​(e.g., peers, service​ ​providers,​ ​family,​ ​community).

5.6 Use​ ​ongoing​ ​assessment​ ​data​ ​from​ ​a​ ​variety​ ​of​ ​sources​ ​and​ ​settings​ ​(e.g., information​ ​from​ ​children's'​ ​families/caregivers)​ ​to establish​ ​meaningful,​ ​individualized​ ​learning​ ​goals​ ​and​ ​intervention​ ​activities. 

6.2 Develop​ ​and​ ​implement​ ​policies, ​ ​structures, ​ ​and​ ​practices​ ​that​ ​promote​ ​shared decision​ ​making​ ​with​ ​other​ ​service​ ​providers​ ​and​ ​families.

6.4 Develop​ ​and​ ​implement​ ​effective​ ​transitional​ ​plans​ ​to​ ​support​ ​the​ ​ongoing learning​ ​and​ ​development​ ​of​ ​children​ ​entering​ ​different​ ​learning​ ​settings​ ​ (e.g., home-based​ ​services​ ​to​ ​preschool,​ ​preschool​ ​to​ ​kindergarten).

6.5 Promote​ ​efficient​ ​and​ ​coordinated​ ​service​ ​delivery​ ​for​ ​children​ ​and​ ​families​ ​by creating and supporting​ ​the​ ​conditions​ ​for​ ​service​ ​providers​ ​from​ ​multiple​ ​disciplines​ ​and​ ​the family​ ​to​ ​work​ ​together​ ​as​ ​a​ ​team. 

6.8 Facilitate​ ​effective collaborative​ ​transitions between​ ​the​ ​stages of schooling and educational settings​ ​(e.g.,​ ​infant/toddler​ ​to​ ​preschool,​ ​preschool​ ​to kindergarten,​ ​kindergarten​ ​to​ ​elementary). 

Awendela Grantham 3 years, 3 months ago

Awendela Grantham

Quantitative History

6-10-2021

Unit 1: How Does Quantitative History Facilitate Intersectional Learning?

Objective 1:  Students will identify and define the term “quantitative history.”

Objective 2:  Students will identify how quantitative history can provide intersectional content which includes information about families and communities.

Unit 2:  How Do Students Engage with Research Ethics in Intersectional Studies?

Objective 1:  Students will identify, define, and communicate what “research ethics” are in quantitative history.

Objective 2:  Students will identify how to use “research ethics” in intersectional studies of families and communities.

Unit 3:  How Does Quantitative History Facilitate Equity?

Objective 1:  Students will identify, define, and communicate the purpose of “equity” in quantitative history.

Objective 2:  Students will organize and write a project that uses “equity” in quantitative history.

Aubree Evans 3 years, 3 months ago

Awendela,

I must admit, I want to learn these things myself! Unit 3 looks like it will clearly lend itself to a natural activity and assessment. I'm wondering what the assessment piece will look like for units 1 & 2. You may end up needing to change the 2nd objective for each to be something higher on Bloom's. It's fine for now. I'm happy to dialogue about this if it becomes a challenge later.

Aubree

Lourdes Viloria 3 years, 3 months ago

These are my contributions

EDCI Student Learning Outcomes

1. The students will demonstrate knowledge of content specific competencies and the roles and responsibilities of the teaching profession.
  2. The teacher candidate understands the state and program certification requirements pertinent to their area of certification.
  3. 3. Designs and implements engaging learner-centered instruction that reflects proficiency of content and evidenced-based, discipline specific, instructional strategies to meet the needs of EC-12 learners.

Unit 1 Roles and Responsibilities of the Teaching Profession

This unit shall provide information about to educators and candidates for certification.

1. Maintain the dignity of the profession;
  2.  Comply with standard practices and ethical conduct toward students, professional colleagues school officials, parents, and members of the community;
  3. Safeguard  academic freedom;
  4. Maintaining the dignity of the profession, and respect and obey the law;
  5. Demonstrate personal integrity, and exemplify honesty and good moral character;
  6. Exemplify ethical relations with colleagues, and extend just and equitable treatment to all members of the profession;
  7. Accept a position of public trust, which will be measured by the success and progress of each student toward realization of his or her potential as an effective citizen;
  8. Fulfill the responsibilities in the community; cooperate with parents and others to improve the public schools of the community.

Unit 2 State and Program Certification Requirements

There are five requirements to become a certified teacher in Texas.

1. Obtain a Bachelor’s Degree - You must earn a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
  2. Complete an Educator Preparation Program - You must complete an Approved Educator Preparation Program. If you do not hold a degree you must complete a university program. If you hold a degree you may contact an Alternative Certification Program or Post Baccalaureate program .
          Resources to Help Pay for Educator Preparation 
  3. Pass Certification Exams - You must pass the appropriate teacher certification exams. Contact your program for exam approval.
  4. Submit a State Application – You must apply to be certified after all requirements are met. Do not apply until you have verified with your program that you are eligible.
  5. Complete Fingerprinting – All first-time applicants must be fingerprinted as part of a national criminal background check.

Unit 3 Instructional Strategies for Diverse Learners

1. Engage in the process of learning more about the students’ families, languages, cultures, and educational backgrounds to engage them in class and prepare and deliver lessons more effectively.
  2. Create a classroom culture so students feel comfortable by making deliberate and culturally inclusive decisions regarding the physical environment, the materials, and the social integration of students to promote language learning.
  3. Promote language learning and help students develop learning strategies and critical thinking skills by planning meaningful lessons that evolve from the learning objectives.
  4. Continually assess students as they teach by observing and reflecting on learners’ responses to determine whether the students are reaching the learning objectives.
  5. Acknowledge that language learners learn at different rates, by regularly monitoring and assessing their language development in order to advance their learning efficiently.
  6. Collaborate with others in the profession to provide the best support for their learners with respect to programming, instruction, and advocacy.
Beth Garcia 3 years, 3 months ago

Your unit 3 fits with my units very well. Maybe we can include some of this together? I did have a question about your Unit 2. Is this how you instruct pre-service candidates about what certification entails? What do they do in this unit? This one intrigues me, and I may need to use it as a resource. Thanks for sharing.

Sure Beth-  I will be very glad to work with you with Unit 3.  Unit 3 is really more specifically focued on Texas Administrative Code for Teacher Certification- I felt a little puzzled about including these but the course specifies it.

Lourdes,

What great content to have as an OER! I think we should share this widely with teacher educators in Texas--this will be very useful.

I'm wondering what you want the learners to do with this knowledge. I can see how it will work well as content in each unit. How will it become an activity and then assessment? In other words, do you know yet how you want learners to apply the knowlege? 

Aubree

Yes, the learners will apply the knowledge in mock TExES exams and field experience exercises.  If you have anything to share I will welcome it.  I thought I had more time but I was notified today the 14 week course is needed by August 2021 and I also have to include a Writing Intensive Unit.

Oof, I understand. I'm sorry that you had less time than you expected.

It sounds like the mock exams and field experiences will work well for this.

Linda Woods 3 years, 3 months ago

Unit 1: Defining Myth: What It Is, What It Is Not, and Why It Matters

Objective 1: Students will develop a working knowledge of what myth is and how it helps us connect with a culture's values.

Objective 2: Students will be able to identify some of the most common misconceptions, or "myths" about myth.

Objective 3: Students will have a basic mastery of the most common mythological tropes: The Heroic Journey, The Epic, and The Fairy Tale. 

Unit Two: The Heroic Journey

Objective 1: Students will read and gain basic mastery of at least three core texts that will exemplify these tropes.

Objective 2: Students will learn to identify the stages of The Heroic Journey

Objective 3: Students will utilize critical thinking skills to understand the differences between the "classic hero" and what we normally associate with the term.

Objective 4: Students will learn how to apply Joseph Campbell's theories of The Heroic Journey to modern examples in cinema, television, and other forms of popular entertainment. 

Objective 5: Students will demonstrate the ability to apply the concepts of The Heroic Journey to real world applications.

Unit Three: "Beware The Big, Bad Wolf! The Dark Underbelly of Fairy Tales:

Objective 1: Students will be able to successfully identify the origins of fairy tales and the psychological role they play in human mythology.

Objective 2: By analyzing both traditional stories and modern renditions and "re-workings" students will gain demonstrable understanding of fairy tale tropes and their implied or explicit meanings. 

Objective 3: Students will demonstrate basic understanding of the major differences between the original stories and often "sanitized" versions (Disney, etc). 

Objective 4: Students will demonstrate effective synthesis of these ideas by completing a creative project which will have them incorporate a classic fairy tale, a modern example of their own choice, and/or an original story they will create based on themselves. 

Beth Garcia 3 years, 3 months ago

Unit 1: Linguistic Analysis

Objective 1: Students will be able to analyze the linguistic competence of second language learners in the four language domains listening, speaking, reading and writing using an evaluation rubric.

Objective 2: Students will use the results of a linguistic analysis to plan activities to support second language learners’ growth in all four domains of language.

Unit 2: Sheltered Instruction Methodology

Objective 1: Students will understand how comprehensible input supports culturally and linguistically diverse students’ understanding of the content taught in a lesson.

Objective 2: Students will be able to identify the 8 Components and 30 features of the SIOP Model.

Objective 3: Students will develop an activity utilizing comprehensible input and at least 6 sheltered instruction supports to enhance culturally and linguistically diverse students’ understanding during instruction using non-verbal cues.

Unit 3: Differentiation and Multiple Intelligences

Objective 1: Students will identify the various forms of intelligence and how these may impact student learning.

Objective 2: Students will design differentiated activities using comprehensible input to support students in meeting grade level learning objectives.

Amber Bechard 3 years, 3 months ago

Reading Tug o'War

Unit 1 Reading Tug o‘War

1. Analyze the issues in the historical “Reading Wars” including balanced literacy and the Science of Reading, as well as analyze issues in critical literacy.
  2. Develop a position statement on your approach to teaching reading effectively and equitably.

Unit 2 Let the Standards Guide You

1. Consider the standards guiding the field of reading instruction, including CA ELA/ELD Common Core Standards and the TT Social Justice Standards. (provide links to a range of relevant standards)
  2. Identify 2-3 standards to guide an integrated early literacy lesson

Unit 3 Design and Develop an Integrated Literacy Lesson

1. Design a unit that integrates a full range of literacy instruction approaches, including explicit structured literacy instruction, critical literacy, and experiential learning to disrupt the commonplace and engage students in multiple viewpoints.
  2. Develop the materials to support your lesson
  3. Publish your lesson to OER Commons

Amber, this looks like it will be a great module that a lot of teacher educators can use. Also, the objectives look attainable within the scope of the module.

Aubree

Devin Beasley 3 years, 3 months ago

Here's a look at my initial overall and unit level objectives. 

Unit-Level Outcomes:
Within this course, participants will:

1. Complete an assessment to identify hidden biases, stereotypes, and prejudices
  2. Investigate how those biases, stereotypes and prejudices are displayed in a classroom setting, and develop a plan to eliminate them
  3. Investigate and discuss the instructional relationship between racial biases and the cultural learning differences and characteristics of students of color.
  4. Develop strategies for supporting K-12 students of color learning experiences related to racial trauma and address their cultural learning needs

Unit 1 Objectives (ULO #1):

1. Discuss and recognize the importance of instructional diversity, equity, and inclusion in the K-12 classroom.
  2. Discuss cultural backgrounds and the connection between racial trauma (experienced by students of color) and student learning.  
  3. Complete and interpret through discussion, the results of 2 Implicit Association Tests (IAT). The Gender-Career IAT and the Race IAT.

Unit 2 Objectives (ULO #2, #3):

1. Investigate various ways teachers demonstrate biases, stereotypes and prejudices in a K-12 classroom.
  2. Discuss how teacher biases stereotypes and prejudices may affect the learning and/or social and emotional growth of students of color in the classroom. 
  3. Investigate cultural learning differences in students of color, and culturally responsive teaching.

Unit 3 Objectives (ULO #4):

1. Create a list of practical ideas or strategies teachers can use to incorporate and demonstrate diversity in the classroom.
  2. Demonstrate a cultural sensitivity to students of color within lesson plans and instruction.
  3. Demonstrate an ability to employ a mindfulness of cultural experiences and differences, and recognize how different instructional approaches can harm or support student learning.

Devin, this is going to help so many teacher educators and so many candidates and their students! I cannot wait to share this around in our networks. These objectives look relevant and attainable in the scope of the module.

Aubree

Tiffany Pogue 3 years, 3 months ago

Unit 1:  Understanding A Pedagogy of Hope From its Roots Up

Objective 1.  Students will be able to identify the role of Paulo Friere in the creation of A Pedagogy of Hope.

Objective 2.  Students will be able to describe the characteristics of A Pedagogy of Hope as described by Freire and others.

Unit 2:  Applying A Pedagogy of the Oppressed and A Pedagogy of Hope To A Contemporary Context

Objective 1.  Students will utilize the strategies of A Pedagogy of Hope to shape a lesson and associated assessment.

Objective 2.  Students will explore how Social Emotional Learning (SEL) strategies can be employed to enhance their work with A Pedagogy of Hope.

Unit 3:  Practitioner Self-Work and Reflection

Objective 1.  Students will reflect on how their plan for implementing a Pedagogy of Hope may shape their educational practices.

Objective 2.  Students will reflect on the role of their own agency as well as that of the broader community in shaping students’ approaches to teaching and learning.

Wow. This is going to change some teaching and learning experiences, Tiffany. I can't wait to share this with colleauges. I think these objectives look attainable and relevant. 

Lara Ervin-Kassab 3 years, 3 months ago

Lara's DRAFT OBJECTIVES. FEEDBACK VERY WELCOME!

Project: Protocol for Analysis and Revision of Racist, Ableist Rubrics

Unit 1: Recognize

Objectives (We will be able to):

Reflect on our assessment experiences as K-12 students and how they are similar/different to what we are asked to do today.

Reflect on our experiences in schooling and in society, what privileges and perceptions did we experience? 

Reflect on our inherent biases or expectations around assessment/achievement and schooling utilizing what we know about at least one student who is linguistically, culturally, socially, or -abled different from ourselves. 

Unit 1 addresses: Teaching Performance Expectations (State of California) 6.2 . Recognize their own values and implicit and explicit biases, the ways in which these values and implicit and explicit biases may positively and negatively affect teaching and learning, and work to mitigate any negative impact on the teaching and learning of students. They exhibit positive dispositions of caring, support, acceptance, and fairness toward all students and families, as well as toward their colleagues AND our program learning outcome: analyze and critique important intersecting aspects of history, policy, race, class, language, and other facets of culture within educational literature underlying societal and one’s own individual assumptions, values, and beliefs within education.

Unit 2: Analyze

Develop knowledge of what "quality" rubric design and considerations of cultural, linguistic, and ableist validity entail. 

Utilize our developing knowledge to find and analyze an existing rubric for an assignment (or recurring skill/product type) we intend to teach in the near future, focusing on criteria and language that create barriers based on language, culture, gender, and dis/ability. 

Unit 2 focuses on TPEs: 5.1 Apply knowledge of the purposes, characteristics, and appropriate uses of different types of assessments (e.g., diagnostic, informal, formal, progress-monitoring, formative, summative, and performance) to design and administer classroom assessments, including use of scoring rubrics; 4.4 Plan, design, implement and monitor instruction, making effective use of instructional time to maximize learning opportunities and provide access to the curriculum for all students by removing barriers and providing access through instructional strategies that include... AND our program learning outcome: critically examine, design, and implement ongoing feedback-based approaches to assessment that center formative guidance during the learning process as opportunities for students to revise, expand, and grow as learners.

Unit 3: Revise

Utilize collaborative, creative, critical communication AND/OR the principles of Universal Design for Learning to rework/re-envision racist, gendered, monolingual, ableist rubric language and constructs to focus on authentic learning rather than compliance and exclusion in assessment.  

Unit 3 will address all of the above listed TPEs and PLOs. 

Lara, I love how this starts with the self and then moves outward to analyze and then revise assessments and rubrics. This is going to help guide many teacher educators and candidates toward equitable and inclusive assessment. I also think the ojbectives are attainable and relevant for the module.

Kara Ireland DAmbrosio 3 years, 3 months ago

Intergrating the Arts to Intersect with Math, Science, Social Science and English Language Arts in the TK-6 Classroom.

Unit 1: Music Intersecting with the Other Subjects

Objects/Learning Outcomes~

Students will be able to:

1. Identify and define basic music icons, academic language and apply these skills to singing, playing (pitched and unpitched instruments) and moving (reacting) to repertoire played (listening) and performed (singing/playing) at the TK-6 level.

2. Demonstrate implemetation of Orff and Kodaly methods of teaching singing and playing at the TK-6 level. Learning how to develop joy of/SEL skills in music in their students' lives (to sing to celebrate, acknowledge a transition, connect to cultures at home, develop SEL skills)

3. Connect and evaluate multiple musics (multi-cultural and multi-use)  in music that support teaching Social Science, Math, ELA, and Math.

Unit 2: Dance Intersecting with the Other Subjects

1. Identify and define basic dance terminology and academic language and apply these skills to moving (reacting) and the use of space, speed/time, levels/height, and force to repertoire played at the TK-6 level.

2. Demonstrate implemetation of teaching dance (Weikhart method) at the TK-6 level. Learning how to develop joy of/SEL skills in dance in their students' lives (to sing to celebrate, acknowledge a transition, connect to cultures at home, develop SEL skills, expression-self)

3. Connect and evaluate multiple dances (multi-cultural and multi-use)  in dance that support teaching Social Science, Math, ELA, and Math.

Unit 3: Drama/Theater Intersecting with the Other Subjects

1. Identify and define basic Theater/Drama terminology and academic language and apply these skills to acting (reacting) and the use of diction, volumn/dynamics, space to drama at the TK-6 level.

2. Demonstrate implemetation of teaching theater (acting, stage, costumes, set) at the TK-6 level. Learning how to develop joy of/SEL skills in drama in their students' lives (to sing to celebrate, acknowledge a transition, connect to cultures at home, develop SEL skills, expression-self)

3. Connect and evaluate multiple theater (multi-cultural and multi-use)  in dance that support teaching Social Science, Math, ELA, and Math.

Kara, I think this looks so useful and important. I'm not familiar with music teaching, so I'll be honest that it's a little over my head. I'm wondering how you will incoprorate the "demonstrate" objectives? Will candidates upload videos or is there another way?

I'm excited to see how this comes together.

Kara Ireland DAmbrosio 3 years, 3 months ago

Thank you for your feedback.

yes- videos are great.

Is it also allowed to add in person or synchronous demonstrations?

Kara

Yes, that's a good point. Some teacher educators may use this in a synchronous class. So it's a good idea to include options for teaching it both synchronously and asynchronously.

Jessica Cannaday 3 years, 3 months ago

In class each week, students are broken into mixed specialization groups (Multiple Subject, Single Subject, Special Education) where they learn about the specific pedagogical model (through articles, videos, chapters, professor lecture and other resources - and now these new modules). They are then asked to create short, 15 minute, lessons where they USE one of the models (each class generally has enough people that we can get 5 or six groups so it is easy to assign each topic/model for the evening), to teach content of their choice, using that model.  They then do the sample lesson for the class for feedback from the class and course instructor.  They are given a "sample" class to plan for, as well as case study students who they must differentiate for.  They receive points as follows: 1 point for demonstrating/using the model correctly. 1 point for utilizing UDL/differentiation for the sample class/case study students well. 1 point for clearly teaching/conveying the content they chose.    This process occurs each week with different pedagogical models until the end of the course and so by the end of the course the number of pedagogical models taught will have grown exponentially and the candidates tool boxes will have been filled fairly significantly.  This course emphasizes planning and specifically Teacher Performance Expectation 4.

Unit 1: Exploratory Pedagogical Models

• Candidates will explore and use exploratory pedagogical models (Inquiry, discovery learning, 5E method, Webquest, problem based learning) methods and strategies in designing instruction. This will be measured through weekly pedagogical model presentations in class, and through weekly course unit design activities.

• Candidates will use appropriate technology and internet sources to facilitate and enhance instruction as measured through the design and implementation of a flipped modality classroom lesson plan. Candidates will incorporate accessibility options within resources used in their flipped lesson in order to meet the needs of all students accessing the materials.

Unit 2:  Questioning Pedagogical Models

• Candidates will explore and use questioning pedagogical models - (QAR, Socratic seminar, fish bowl, and open-ended questioning) methods and strategies in designing instruction. This will be measured through weekly pedagogical model presentations in class, and through weekly course unit design activities.

Unit 3: Peer Interaction Pedagogical Models

• Candidates will explore and use peer interaction models - (cooperative and collaborative learning, kagan strategies, etc...) methods and strategies in designing instruction. This will be measured through weekly pedagogical model presentations in class, and through weekly course unit design activities.

Jessica, you'll want to insert the description you wrote about your units into your "About" section of your module. It's really good, and I think you can use it as is.

Your unit objectives look good, too. I am excited to see what creative ways you'll find to implement this in the online asynchronous format.

Also be sure that it explicitly connects to either the Inclusive Instruction or Intersectional Content Framework areas

Jessica Cannaday 3 years, 3 months ago

Thank you. I'll add that to the 'about section' for certain.  In terms of the connections, I think it can connect to both inclusive instruction and intersectional content - although inclusive instruction is easier - because the course focuses on TPEs 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, and 1.8-  which emphasize that all students can learn - and that is why candidates are given the sample class to plan for, as well as the sample case students to differentiate for - so they can incorporate UDL, as well as differentiate, based on specific k-12 student needs.  Certain weeks they have students with specific needs.  So each week, our teacher candidates learn how to differentiate for different types of student differences and needs.  However, the course also emphasizes twice exceptionality. For instance, the week the course has a gifted learner as the case study student, it notes that the learner also has dyslexia and qualifies for other services and as such there is intersectionality there.  Likewise, the course itself (because we are a Christian University and incorporate Faith Integration into each of our classes) has a faith integration assignment each week... so the Faith assignment is connected specifically to Diversity and culturally responsive pedagogy is the specific pedagogical model emphasized from that perspective. The course covers diversity from a different lens each week as result... gender, ethnicity, LGBTQ+, Socio-Economic Status, Ability Levels, Achievement gaps, etc...

Is that sort of what you meant?

Oh yes, that is what I mean. That's really interesting. Sounds like it will work well just be sure those connections are explicitly stated.

Jean Ann Joest 3 years, 3 months ago

For this course, these units will be for Specific Learning Objective 5: Identify evidence-based practices that address the differential learning needs of exceptional learners by researching on evidence based-practices for learners with disabilities.

All three units aim to develop the knowledge and skills of preservice teachers using these strategies whether teaching  F2F or online, or a combination, and identifying which would be most appropriate for the age-levels in their certification areas.

Unit 1: Strategies to Support Academic Needs

1. EPP Students will identify and define high leverage practices and evidence based practices for academic support for students with disabilities in inclusive settings.

2. EPP Students will create and demonstrate lesson activities in their certification area, using the new strategies.

Unit 2: Strategies to Support Behavioral Needs

1. EPP students will identify and define high leverage practices and evidence based practices for behavior support for students with disabilities with behavior problems, to help facilitate remaining in an inclusive setting.

2. EPP students will create examples of positive behavior strategies, including a Classroom Matrix defining expectations.

Unit 3: Strategies for oganization and self-management

1. EPP students will identify and define high leverage and evidence based practices that students with disabilities will be able to generalize to multiple settings.

2. EPP students will create examples appropriate for the age and content of their certification areas.

Maria Gross 3 years, 3 months ago

Trauma-informed Teaching Strategies

This module is part of a larger Differentiated Instruction course, which explores various students who might in our Teacher Candidates' future classrooms. The focus of this module is students who have experienced trauma in their lives. The Teacher Candidates will use the life of a fictional student to explore trauma and trauma-informed teaching strategies. Teacher Candidates will practice and apply these strategies in order to support actual students.

Unit 1: Identifying Sources of Trauma for Students

Obj 1: Teacher Candidates Will Be Able To (TCWBAT) identify sources of trauma

Obj 2: TCWBAT connect trauma sources to a fictional student and in personal life

Unit 2:  Designing Strategies to Support Resilience in Students

Obj 1: TCWBAT research to identify strategies to support students who have faced or are facing trauma (CA TPE 2.4)

Obj 2: TCWBAT design strategies to support resilience in the fictional student

Unit 3:  Applying Trauma-informed Strategies to Your Students

Obj 1: TCWBAT critique fictional student strategies

Obj 2: TCWBAT apply trauma-informed teaching strategies

Maria, these objectives look really applicable to the OER module format. Also, this will help SO many teacher educators and teacher candidates. Thank you so much for putting this out there to help others!

Maria Gross 3 years, 3 months ago

You are welcome, Aubree. I am looking forward to learning more about trauma-informed teaching strategies as I develop the module :)

Anita Flemington 3 years, 3 months ago

Bilingualism - types, issues, and our future paths

Bilingualism and the various types of and research on bilingualism

Objective # 1

Candidates will be able to identify, discuss, analyze types of bilingualism and some of the research on bilingualism.

Issues surrounding bilingualism - past and present

Objective # 2

Candidates will be able to identify, discuss, analyze issues around bilingualism including bilingual education and English Only initiatives in the U. S.

Solutions to issues around bilingualism including dual immorsion bilingual education programs

Objective # 3

Candidates will be able to discuss, analyze and evaluate some current suggested solutions to the issues presented in modules 1 and 2.

These look great, Anita! I think you could potentially break each objective into three, but this works totally fine for this purpose. This is going to be a great module that a lot of teacher educators will be able to use.

Leah Carruth 3 years, 3 months ago

Unit 1: Phonological Awareness: The Sounds of Language 

1. The student will identify stages of language acquisition.

2. The student will develop foundational knowledge of phonological awareness.

3. The student will apply their understanding of phonological awareness through activity analysis and development.   

Unit 2: Phonemic Awareness: One part of the umbrella

1. The student will distinguish between the hierarchy of skills in phonological awareness and phonemic awareness.  

2. The student will evaluate phonemic awareness activities for accuracy and developmentally appropriateness. 

3. The student will create a phonemic awareness task directly tied to one specific skill within phonemic awareness.   

Unit 3: English Learners: Effective Instruction

1. The student will demonstrate basic understanding of language acquisition for English Learners. 

2.  The student will develop understanding on how dialect and other languages impact oral language development.

3.  The student will determine differentiation strategies, focusing on the speaking and listening language domains. 

4.  The student will create tasks to work with English Learners in their phonological awareness development, including explicit and systematic instructional practices.  

This is incredible, Leah! I can really see how this will be applied in an OER module format. I think it will work well. And this will help SO many teacher educators. As a former language educator, I'm totally geeking out about this!

Megan Lyons 3 years, 3 months ago

Equitable Practices: Exploring Race and Socio Economic Status

Unit 1 Culture

• Examine the role that culture plays in the lives of students and their families and discuss the influence of the experiences of a cultural group in the community and society on our cultural identity.
  • Discuss the ways in which our assumptions and biases negatively impact cultural pluralism.
  • Identify the obstacles to creating a just and equal classroom and explore strategies for creating a classroom culture that is inclusive.

Unit 2 Race

• Examine your biases in regard to race and ethnicity and reflect on how your experiences can impact the classroom culture.
  • Identify patterns of immigration and immigration policy and their impact on the education of children of foreign-born families.
  • Explain how educational practices support or eliminate ethnic differences among students.
  • Evaluate the results of continuing racial and ethnic discrimination on communities and students.
  • Develop culturally responsive strategies and activities for affirming race and ethnicity in classroom.

Unit 3 Socioeconomic Status

• Examine personal biases and assumptions of students from various socio economic levels.
  • Discuss the five factors that contribute to an individual’s or family’s socioeconomic status.
  • Analyze the impact of the class of a student’s family on their school experiences.
  •  Examine the interaction of socioeconomic status with race, ethnicity, gender, and age differences and impact of inequality on families and children.
  • Develop culturally responsive strategies that will address the needs of students from various socio economic levels.

Megan, this is going to be SO good! And it will help so many educators. I can see this being used beyond the field of teacher education. I think these objectives will work well in your module.

RASHAD ANDERSON 3 years, 3 months ago

Unit 1 Objective: Understanding the Crisis of Black Male education in U.S. schools

1. Overview the various barriers and contemporary issues that plague the education of Black male students in U.S. schools including academic achievement, high rates of educational drop out, lower college enrollment, over-representation in special education classes, and lower standardized tests scores that reflect an enveloping problem of educational debt among Black male students.
  2. Students will develop an understanding of how systemic issues of racism and socioeconomics are correlated to the academic & social success of Black male students in U.S. public schools

Unit 2 Objective: Teacher Interactions & School Practices that cause Pre-Adolescent Black males to devalue/disengage from school

1. Be able to recognize detrimental teacher interactions & school practices that effect the engagement of Black male students both socially and academically in U.S. public schools
  2. Understand what Black male students’ schooling stories reveal about the roles schools and teachers play in how they make meaning of themselves and of schooling?
  3. Review the application of major educational learning theories & culturally responsive pedagogy as they apply to the positive schooling & intervention of Black male students

Unit 3 Objective: Using Research for Action

1. Explain how teachers & school leaders can foster both reflectivity and action-based research to create school & classroom goals for “at-risk” Black male students.
  2. Demonstrate knowledge of using contemporary research of Black male education to foster pragmatic interventions to curb negative trajectories of students that have been identified as “at-risk”

Rashad, this looks amazing! I really like the application of educational learning theories with Black male students and schooling. I also love that it ends with reflectivity. This is going to help so many teacher educators. 

Rickey Harrell 3 years, 3 months ago

Course objectives in alignment with Chapter 149. Commissioner’s Rules on Educator Standards, Subchapter AA. Teacher Standards

Unit One: Explore the purpose of integrating cultural and linguistic practices, social and emotional learning, cognitive science, and trauma-informed care to teaching and learning.

2 (B) (ii) Teachers understand the unique qualities of students with exceptional needs, including disabilities and giftedness, and know how to effectively address these needs through instructional strategies and resources.

(iii) Teachers understand the role of language and culture in learning and know how to modify their practices to support language acquisition so that language is comprehensible, and instruction is fully accessible.

2 (C) Teachers facilitate each student's learning by employing evidence-based practices and concepts related to learning and social-emotional development.

(i) Teachers understand how learning occurs and how learners develop, construct meaning, and acquire knowledge and skills.

Unit Two: Learn Methods to gather student data that demonstrates knowledge of students and student learning assets

2 (B) Teachers acquire, analyze, and use background information (familial, cultural, educational, linguistic, and developmental characteristics) to engage students in learning.

(i)Teachers connect learning, content, and expectations to students' prior knowledge, life experiences, and interests in meaningful contexts.

Unit Three: Learn instructional strategies based on knowledge of student assets that enrich teaching and engages all students

Standard 1--Instructional Planning and Delivery. Teachers demonstrate their understanding of instructional planning and delivery by providing standards-based, data-driven, differentiated instruction that engages students, makes appropriate use of technology, and makes learning relevant for today's learners.

1 (A) (iii) Teachers connect students' prior understanding and real-world experiences to new content and contexts, maximizing learning opportunities.

1 (B) (ii) Teachers use a range of instructional strategies, appropriate to the content area, to make subject matter accessible to all students.

1 (C) (i) Teachers differentiate instruction, aligning methods and techniques to diverse student needs, including acceleration, remediation, and implementation of individual education plans.

1(C) (iii) Teachers integrate the use of oral, written, graphic, kinesthetic, and/or tactile methods to teach key concepts.

Ricky, this content will help so many teacher educators!

I think your objectives look pretty packed. It might be too much to cover in each unit. If you can do it, go for it, but if it starts to feel like to much to cover in each unit, you might want to consider simplifying each objective. For example, in the below objective, I think that could actually be 2 objectives: the first being to understand, and the second to address.

2 (B) (ii) Teachers understand the unique qualities of students with exceptional needs, including disabilities and giftedness, and know how to effectively address these needs through instructional strategies and resources.

In fact, I think you could break this unit into 2 and that could be a whole unit. It's fine if you want to cover more, it just seems like a lot to do in the 4 weeks that we have.

Rickey Harrell 3 years, 3 months ago

Aubree,

Thanks for your input! You're right.

In response, Unit One has only the first two objectives (I removed 2 (C)), Unit 2 has only one objective and Unit 3 has three objectives (1 A, B, and C).

Dr. Betty Liverman 3 years, 3 months ago

Unit One: The Importance of Conceptualizing Standards, Goals, and Objectives to Counteract Stereotypes and Incorporate Contributions. 

Unit Two: Using Assessment Designs to Maintain High Expectations, Appreciate Differences, and Value the Contributions of a Diverse Population of Learners

Unit Three: Creating Sound Reasoning to Employ a Wide Range of Information and Communication Technology,           Learning Styles, and Differentiated Instruction.  

This is great, Betty. I forgot to mention on the phone that you'll want to make sure you've got an activity and assessment to support each unit. For instance, learners may identify the ways in which standards, goals, and objectives can counteract stereotypes and incoporate contributions. You'll want to be thinking of activities and assessment that measure that.

But I think all of these set the stage for that to happen.

Craig Bartholio 3 years, 3 months ago

Unit 1: How culture and school environments influence students learning

Objective 1: Students will be able to identify aspects of and define Culturally Responsive Teaching (CRT)

Objective 2: Students will be able to identify different cultural archetypes and their influence on pedagogy and student learning.

Objective 3:  Students will be able to identify how the brain responds to different learning environments and cultural expectations.

Unit 2: The intersection of neuroscience and culturally responsive teaching and how they influence the development of independent learners.

Objective 1: Students will be able to operationally define and identify how the concept of survival influences the student-learning process.

Objective 2: Students will be able to operationally define and identify how the concept of exercise influences the student-learning process. 

Objective 3: Students will connect the concepts of survival and exercise to different pedagogical models that support student learning.

Unit 3: Supporting Dependent Learners to become Independent Learners and Understanding the role of culture in student learning.

Objective 1: Students will be able to differentiate the difference between an independent and dependent learner.

Objective 2: Students will be able to identify habits of mind and cognitive tools to help student’s transition to become an independent learner.

Objective 3: Students will be able to understanding how neuroscience, students motivation, and pedagogy and learning theories relate to social emotional development and their implications and application for instructional design for all students.

The inspiration for this work is derived from Dr. Zaretta Hammond's book, Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain: Promoting Authentic Engagement and Rigor Among Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students and Brain Rules by John Medina. 

These are fantastic, Craig! I think they lend themselves well to the activities & assessments that will allow candidates to apply the concepts.

Christian Bracho 3 years, 3 months ago

The goal of my module is to link the science of learning to culturally responsive pedagogies. I aim to draw on a variety of content sources to make these connections clear.

Week 1 Culture and the Brain

Teacher Candidates will be able to identify how different areas of the brain are linked to different aspects of the learning process.

Teacher Candidates will be able to explain how culture provides schema that can be tapped to increase student engagement and enhance comprehensions.

Week 2 Adolescent Learners and Culture

Teacher Candidates will be able to identify key tenets of culturally responsive pedagogies.

Teacher Candidates will be able to explain why culture is relevant to the cognitive, emotional, and social development of adolescent learners.

Week 3 Cultural Lenses in UDL

Teacher Candidates will be able to describe how UDL is linked to the science of learning, with specific attention to affective, recognition, and strategic networks in the brain.

Teacher Candidates will be able to link UDL to facets of culturally responsive pedagogies, and explain why such an approach is necessary to address cultural and linguistic diversity.

Perfect, Christian! I think these objectives scaffold well and will lend themselves really well to all components of your module. 

Beverly Sande 3 years, 3 months ago

Course Description:

The culturally and linguistically diverse learner is profiled in terms of disproportionate positions within our society and schools. A case is made for why intense attention is needed for this population, the points of greatest need for this population, and why certain types of instruction are more appropriate for those students with the most significant educational needs. 

General Course Objectives:

Teacher Candidates will be able to (TCWBAT):

1. Respond appropriately to the diverse needs of all individuals within the school community, inclusive of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion or religious creed, disability or handicap, sex or gender, gender identity, and/or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.

2. Implement quality programs to ensure that all students’ individual needs are met through quality, flexible instructional programs, and services.

3. Provide effective and culturally sensitive leadership for staff and parents in the administration of all programs

4. Implement and maintain the appropriate school safety policies and procedures necessary, to ensure a safe and effective learning environment

5. Applies knowledge of professional roles and responsibilities and adheres to legal and ethical requirements of the profession

Unit 1-Implementing diversity equity and inclusion practices in your classroom:

1.1- TCWBAT develop a general understanding of DEI

1.2- TCWBAT read and interpret the laws that protect diverse learners.

1.3- TCWBAT use best practices to meet the needs of diverse learners in their classrooms.

5.1- TCWBAT list and model professional roles and responsibilities that ensure DEI.

Unit 2-  Understanding how to review, redesign and implement a DEI program/curriculum:

2.1- TCWBAT review current curriculum in schools for elements that meet DEI standards

2.2- TCWBAT evaluate quality, flexible, and inclusive instructional programs.

2.3-TCWBAT demonstrate high leverage instructional strategies designed to ensure success for all students.

2.4 TCWBAT evaluate P-12 services using a DEI lens.

Unit 3- Developing culturally responsive leadership that ensures students' safety.

3.1- TCWBAT gain knowledge on how to provide effective and culturally sensitive leadership to faculty, staff, students, and parents.

3.2- TCWBAT model leadership skills that honor DEI

3.3- TCWBAT embrace equity by allowing student voice in decision making

4.1- TCWBAT identify best practices that ensure inclusion and safety for all students.

4.2 TCWBAT develop protocols that ensure a safe and effective learning environment for all.

Beverly, these objectives are amazing! I think this will be a WIDELY shared module. I do wonder if you're taking on too much in each unit. If you find it's too much to get done in these few weeks, you can probably shorten each unit to 2-3 objectives. It's completely up to you though.

Virginia Kennedy 3 years, 3 months ago

Module title: “Intersectionality of disability with other identities and implications for inclusive practices in schools.”

This module will be developed for a course that introduces knowledge about students with disabilities and inclusive education to our teaching credential candidates in elementary, secondary, and special education.

Objectives with aligned TPEs

TPEs=California Teaching Performance Expectations 

U=Universal standards (general education & special education)

MMSN=Mild/Moderate Support Needs

ESN=Extensive Support Needs

Unit 1: Biases and inequities in assessment and identification of students with disabilities

U 5.1,5.2; 4.4; MMSN 1.3,5.1,5.6,4.7; ESN 5.15.35.5,5.6,5.7

The learner will be able to:

1. Articulate the importance of sensitivity to cultural and language factors as applies to identification of students who are gifted and talented and students who have disabilities.
  2. Identify the principles of “fair practices” educational assessment. 
  3. Identify and give examples of testing bias that yield inaccurate and harmful results, 
  4. Design a formative classroom assessment that provides culturally and linguistically diverse response choices, e.g. writing, dictating, drawing, making a flipgrid video.  

Unit 2: Intersectionality, assets and bias in the instruction of students with disabilities

U 1.1, 2.2, 4.1, 4.4

1. Identify the academic and behavioral support needs of students from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, e.g., students with cognitive deficits, specific learning disabilities, autism spectrum disorders. 
  2. Develop a universally-designed activity for an inclusive class of elementary or secondary students. (This will be their introduction to UDL, which will be further addressed throughout the rest of the course.)

Unit 3: Intersectionality, special education, and family empowerment

U 4.4; MMSN 2.4, 4.7, 5.4; ESN 5.4

1. Identify possible systemic racism, linguicism, and ableism in school-wide structures.
  2. Draw (maybe make an infographic) of the main models of co-teaching in inclusive classrooms.
  3. Locate or develop a resource in English and one other language that informs parents/caregivers about their legal rights when deciding about services and supports for their children. 

Virginia, I can see these objectives translating so well to your online module. They are so specific and approachable. For example, "Locate or develop a resources . . ." sounds like a really great assignment!

Carly Johnson 3 years, 3 months ago

Conducting Pedagogy & Score Study: Culturally Relevant Materials for Minority-Serving Music Educator Preparator Programs

Unit 1:  Conducting Posture & Gestures 

Objectives:

1. TSW demonstrate proper conducting stance, posture, and baton grip.
  2. TSW describe how eye contact can convey expression, mood and style.
  3. TSW demonstrate common conducting patterns including simple, compound, and odd meters. 

Unit 2:  Podium Presence & Showing Expression

Objectives:

1. TSW identify methods for showing expression through the use of various conducting gestures related to character, style, and mood. 
  2. TSW will communicate musical indications in the score relating to tempo, dynamics, and articulation through the use of appropriate conducting gestures. 
  3. TSW summarize and describe the conducting styles of three prominent conductors. 

Unit 3:  Score Reading & Analysis 

Objectives:

1. TSW demonstrate score reading literacy through the translation of musical terms written in languages other than English.
  2. TSW demonstrate score reading literacy through the transposition of various non-concert pitch instruments to concert pitch. 
  3. TSW demonstrate analytical skills by identifying the principal themes/motifs/melodies, along with the formal structures and harmonic structures found in a score.

For this module, visual assignments and assessments such as a cell phone selfie activity/assessment, and video ractivities/assignments where students conduct various patterns and musical excerpts to submit for critique, will allow students to receive feedback on the more visual components of the course content.