Plans to advance OER at Husson University

by Megan Simmons 1 year, 3 months ago

Please share three things that you are going to do to advance OER in your work by replying below.

Tip: make sure your plans and next steps specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, and time-bound (SMART!)

Edward Goguen 1 year, 3 months ago

Hello All,

I have had a difficult time finding a textbook for one of my courses (AE 351 Broadcast Audio Engineering). The only text I've been able to find is dated, it's not rigorous enough given that it's a 300-level course, and it's not engaging enough that my students would enjoy reading it and most likely wouldn't read unless I created a 'did-you-do-the-reading' assessment.

My first goal is to learn more about OER in general and the resources availabe for finding OER options for my courses. Beyond just searching or Googling for resources, articles, webpages, etc. what can the existing OER libraries offer to assist me in my work?

My second goal for this OER work (and why I'm in this cohort) is to find a textbook for this course that is current, rigorous, and engaging.

My third goal (and perhaps a Plan B) is to find out how many OER options exist that I could use instead of a text or find specifc topic/unit/module related resources that I could add to the class to strengthen the content. 

Sandip LeeAnne Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

Hello all,

One thing I have learned is how to investigate the resources.  Related to that is the possiblity of editing open resources.

One goal I have is to investigate more resources from Husson and OER Commons.  I found one on evaluating sources for bias from Washington that looks useful.

One goal is to investigate sources for resources to use in sequence in courses.  Related to that is the possiblity of finding materials to serve individual students and groups of students.

I had a brainstorm of what if I had something that might become a resource, so perhaps that is a goal.

Cliff Guthrie 1 year, 3 months ago

I'll be looking at the idea of publishing one of my current textbook chapters as an OER resource on this site. It will be interesting and important to me to see if it gets seen and used by others. 

Looking for readings and cases for the two courses I'm teaching right now. 

Explore textbook options for a new course I hope to teach in the fall. Suggest to colleagues that they look at resources here for their own planning.

Patricia Eldershaw 1 year, 3 months ago

Hi I am always looking for resources to enhance courses.  As health care is always changing, so must the content we teach.  Often there are no ready textbooks that meet all the learning needs.  

I have already started exploring on OER and found a text with relevant sections and links to supportive media that I will be able to use in future sections of a course I am developing.    

Matthew Pifer 1 year, 3 months ago

Three items I hope to explore are as follows:

1. I would like to explore OER resources in general and how they might be used in a variety of literature courses. I would like to modify resources to meet the specific needs of literature courses for which specific resources are unavailable. Native American literature is one course that I have had to use a variety of different texts that I might be able to incorporate into a more focused resource or supplements.

2. I would also like to explore how to author resources rather than incorporate those developed by others. However, I am concerned about how my work might be evaluated. 

3. I'm interested in exploring how OER resources can supplement my current course. Developing engaging supplements can be difficult and getting others' approaches can create deeper learning opportunities. 

David Casavant 1 year, 3 months ago

Hello,

I wanted to use this format to thank everyone for coming today and to thank Shelly and ISKME for their presentation. Thanks also to Dr. Guthrie for his presentation. Cliff, I enjoyed hearing about your journey. I also enjoyed hearing from colleagues in Texas. The event was a great way to begin our efforts together. 

With the support of the MELMAC grant and through Appreciative Inquiry, my intent is to work with Shelly, Diane, and the Core Team to engage broad participation in developing University-wide aspirations for supporting Open Educational Resources and Practices at Husson. Meanwhile, we will be gathering the Core Team and Faculty stipend recipients to provide more specifics as we work toward achieving the goals and objectives of the grant. We've just begun developing a community of supports so no worries. 

We're certainly very grateful for the resources provided by ISKME. The amount and breadth of resources fosters greater appreciation for their efforts. If I was teaching a textbook course and I just wanted to find a similar resource, I might start with the Sawyer Library's, Faculty Select. That search engine includes OpenStax which is the publishing group Dr. Guthrie mentioned in his presentation. After gaining comfort with OER text resources, perhaps my next line of priorities might be other print materials; then other modalities keeping in mind inclusion and accessibility.

Our best resource for building our community of support is each other. Our librarians, Shelly and Diane are eager to help. As noted by Megan, a strong foundation at Husson will help shape the support we need within our community and foster a greater sense of comfort in participating more broadly in this initiative.

Thank you for your time and interest,

David