Welcome and Introductions (Webinar One)

by Joanna Schimizzi 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Discusison Board Tip: Please reply directly to this prompt by clicking "reply" below. You will only see the "Reply" button if you are logged in and a member of the group.

Prompt: Please share the following about yourself:

1. What is your name and institution?

2. How have you interacted with copyright and licensing before?

3. How do you see yourself using OER in your position?

Ella Melito 10 months, 2 weeks ago

1. Ella Melito - Cochise College

2. I have some limited experience with copyright and licensing

3. We have adopted 2 OERs for our Eng department. We are working on building an OER for one of courses. We are reviewing adoption of OERs for 2 of our literature courses. 

Adam Leighton 10 months, 2 weeks ago

1. I'm Adam Leighton, and I teach part-time at CCC and full-time at ASU.

2. I haven't ever intentionally interacted with it.

3. Adapting, modifying, and creating OER textbooks, activities, and courses at the post-secondary level! :)

Tatiana Keeling 10 months, 2 weeks ago

1.  Tatiana Keeling, Professor of English and Interim Chair of Literary Arts & Languages Division at Central Arizona College.  

2. I use OERs in one of my literature classes, and I have only rudimentary knowledge of copyright and licensing.  

3.  The English department is exploring the option of creating an OER textbook for our ENG 101 and ENG 102 courses.  

Ella Melito 10 months ago

Great to meet up with you again! I am glad that you like the OpenStax source. 

Chun-Hung Wang 10 months, 2 weeks ago

1. Chun-Hung Wang, Northland Pioneer College

2. Yes. I had one course CHM130 uploaded on OER Commons already.

3. I have adopted one (CHM130) and will adopt CHM151 and CHM152 this school year

Danyell Dahn 10 months ago

Hi. Thanks for helping me become a part of this group and begin with OER!

Tonya Nolan 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Tonya Nolan, Yavapai College

Yes, I have taught with OER resources

I will use them in my classes and help others with their classes

William Mathis 10 months, 2 weeks ago

What is your name and institution?

William Mathis (I go by Bill or Mr. Bill) - Central Arizona College

How have you interacted with copyright and licensing before?

I have used or adopted OER at other community colleges.

How do you see yourself using OER in your position?

Adopting OER for my online classes and helping other instructors adopt or adapt for their classes.

Christi Charters 10 months, 1 week ago

1. Christi Charters-Cochise College

2. Minimal experience with copyright and licensing.

3. Looking for OER material for my Anatomy/Physiology class.

Alexandrea Stritmatter 10 months, 1 week ago
  1. What is your name and institution? Alexandrea (Alex) Stritmatter, Central Arizona College (CAC)

2. How have you interacted with copyright and licensing before? N/A

3. How do you see yourself using OER in your position? I am figuring this out!

Steve Ornelas 10 months, 1 week ago

1. What is your name and institution?

Steve Ornelas - Central Arizona College

2. How have you interacted with copyright and licensing before?

I also have limited experience with copyright and licensing

3. How do you see yourself using OER in your position?

I am just learning about OER and excited to see how I can apply it to our Psychology classes!

Michelle Estes 10 months, 1 week ago
  1. What is your name and institution?  Michelle Estes - Arizona Western College

2. How have you interacted with copyright and licensing before? Not alot of experience with copyright or licensing, but interested in learning more.

3. How do you see yourself using OER in your position?  Assisting faculty to incorporate OER in their courses and applying OER resources to my own CIS course in 2024.

James Love 10 months, 1 week ago

James Love PhD, Sociology Cochise College

Not Much Experience with Copyright and Liscences

Used OER's at previous instiuttion and plan to implement at Cochise

Hailey Richins 10 months, 1 week ago

Hailey Richins Eastern Arizona College

Limited interaction with copyright and licensing

I will help faculty create, adopt, and remix OER at EAC. 

Lindsay Masten 10 months, 1 week ago
  1. Lindsay Masten Yavapai College

2. How have you interacted with copyright and licensing before? As a professional designer I have a lot of experience with copyright—often, designers and illustrators sell their work based on rights. I might sell an illustration for limited use (only for a specific campaign), or charge a client a separate fee for rights for a logo design. 

3. How do you see yourself using OER in your position? I am already using OER I've made. My courses are lab studios and while I use books for some courses, they're not typical textbooks. The actual instructional material I make myself, so it's kind of OER by default. For other courses there are no books because books become out of date too quickly (any course teaching software or modern tech gets out of date too fast for publishing in my opinion). 

Joe Faykosh 10 months, 1 week ago

1) Joe Faykosh, Central Arizona College, and I teach History.

2) This is my first real exposure to copyright and licensing.

3) We are currently planning to adopt and I am now serving as OER lead for our college. 

Chantele Carr 10 months, 1 week ago

1.  Chantele Carr-Central Arizona College

2.  I have not interacted with copyright and licensing

3. I am using two OERs Texts for my Communication courses.  (Introduction to Human Communication and Interpersonal Communication).  The OER textbooks were already in place when I started teaching the courses so I just kept them in place and I love them.  Looking for OERs for my Intercultural Communication courses 

Shelley Decker 10 months, 1 week ago

Shelley Decker, Central Arizona College

I have not interacted with copyright and licensing before.

We would like to consider adopting OER for our department textbook.

Shandiin Deputee 10 months, 1 week ago
  1. What is your name and institution? Shandiin Deputee, Northland Pioneer College

2. How have you interacted with copyright and licensing before? I am currently working on locating OER textbooks for my classes.

3. How do you see yourself using OER in your position? I want to use textbooks and lessons.

Jacob Gibson 10 months ago

Jacob Gibson, Arizona Western College

My interation with copyright and licensing experience is limited to checking the copyright and licensing of materials I use in my courses.

I use OER for my courses currently, and would like to diversify the content of our department as well as share what we have been developing.

Khaleel Abusal 10 months ago

1. Khaleel Abusal from Cochise College.

2. Just a little bit. I think I need to learn more about licensing.

3. I am currently using an OER textbook (for the first time) for some of the classes I teach. However, I've used OER sources for personal and self-learning purposes before. 

Nicolas Hanhan 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Hello Khaleel,

Nice to meet you today in the Academy . I also know a little bit about copyright and hopefully these sessions will help us improve our knowldge and skills.

Best 

Nick 

Danyell Dahn 10 months ago

Danyell Dahn (Northland Pioneer College, World Regional Geography Adjunct)

I have browsed CC resources but not taken a full deep dive inventory. I have much to learn!

I need to see what exists before I know what work is left to do. This is very much a matter of putting in a lot of time up front to be more efficient and a more useful contributor in the long run. Frankly, it is overwhelming. I like how you are scaffolding this course. It is helping me that you are assigning tasks. I need to get to them sooner. lol.

Nick Hanhan 10 months ago

Nicolas Hanhan - Arizona Western College

Limited experience with copyright and licensing. 

Help Instructors using OER in courses.

Suzonne Crockett 10 months ago

My name is Suzonne H Crockett, Central Arizona College

I have not interacted with copyright nor licensing before

I plan to support faculty 

Michelle Estes 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Suzonne - It is great to see you in the Academy. 

Michelle Estes, AWC

Suzonne Crockett 9 months, 1 week ago

Michelle, 

It was a pleasure seeing you also.  Please let's stay in touch.  suzonne.crockett@centralaz.edu. 

Suzonne CAC

Francis Martinez 10 months ago

1. Francis Martinez, Professor Of ESL- Arizona Western College
2. I have not, yet.
3. Implementing as supplement material 

Michelle Estes 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Francis,  I am excited to her that joined the academy and interested in doing some supplemental OER materials.  Connect with me, Jacob Gibson, and Nick Hanhan that have gone through this academy. 

Michelle Estes