Webinar Two Discussion - Evaluating OER

by Joanna Schimizzi 9 months ago

Discusison Board Tip:

Please reply directly to this prompt by clicking "reply" below. You will only see the "Reply" button if you are logged in and a member of the group.

Prompt:

1. What did you see in a resource today that you think is an important feature for OER in your own context?

2. How could OER evaluation fit into your local Community of Practice?

Adam Leighton 9 months ago

1. Reference lists! I've almost always reserved them to papers, not educational resources.

2. We can adapt the evaluation system to non-OER and not-necessarily-OER resources too! I think evaluating ourselves regularly with these sorts of things is critical!

Christi Charters 8 months, 4 weeks ago

I hadn't thought about using the evaluation system to evaluate non-OER resources. 

Ella Melito 8 months, 4 weeks ago

I hadn't thought about reviewing the reference and works cited lists. Perhpas doing so will lead to further open resources. 

Michelle Estes 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Ella,   I have found it helpful to review references.   It will take you some time to review all of them, but it does lead to additional open resources and authors.

Michelle Estes

Hailey Richins 9 months ago

1. Providing a summary and a further research option. 

2. We don't have an official oer eval so just using one would be beneficial. 

Shelley Decker 9 months ago

1. I like that you can remix and change sources already created. Remixing on the platform is a great option. I also like that you can get evaluations for your work and collaborate with other creators through evaluations.

2. I think OER evaluation can fit into our community of practice by allowing us to use feedback and evaluations other people within our subject area have given to the resources as well as allowing us to collaborate on resources efficiently.

Shelley, 

I agree with you that there needs to be a community of practice where we can evaluate other OER materials within the subject areas.  It would be great to see a comradey formed between these subject groups and meet at least once a semester to review each other's work and "cheer" on additional projects to continue our OER work.

Michelle Estes

Joe Faykosh 9 months ago

1) I liked the idea of building out "Further Reading." I am always a bit worried about the comprehensiveness of any one resource, so knowing that I can add additional sources makes this feel doable and demonstrative of an evolving product.

2) For sure, in History, we are constantly evaluating sources for how updated and relevant the material might be so that part seems to be closely aligned. 

Tatiana Keeling 9 months ago

1.  Using visuals in a resource and having a "Further Readings" or "Additional Materials" section are useful practices.  

2.  When searching for OERs, I will pay attention to the evaluation tools (stars, comments, rubrics) and will review the comments posted for each source.  It may help us make the selection process more effective.  

Steve Ornelas 9 months ago
  1. What did you see in a resource today that you think is an important feature for OER in your own context?

I really liked the Remix feature and how to evaluate a resource.

I definitely can use it in for Psychology 101 class and looking forward to it!
Danyell Dahn 9 months ago

I like the comment and evaluate feature as I have utilized others OER reviews to help me filter resources. Responsible evaluations are essential when assessing full text books in a short amount of time. The star feature could be a problematic oversimplification though.

Shelley Decker 8 months, 4 weeks ago

I had not thought of how the star feature could be oversimplifying things

Jacob Gibson 8 months, 4 weeks ago

I had not thought about using content evaluations as a search crtieria. Given the volume of the material that appears to be out there, this could be a great filter.

Tatiana Keeling 8 months, 4 weeks ago

Hi Danyell, you are so right.  I hadn't thought that the star feature without the explanation of why a certain number of stars is given does seem flawed. 

Tatiana Keeling 8 months, 4 weeks ago

Hi Danyell, you are so right.  I hadn't thought that the star feature without the explanation of why a certain number of stars is given does seem flawed. 

Lindsay Masten 8 months, 4 weeks ago

I hadn't thought about the dangers of oversimplification, and I think this is important to bring up. 

Christi Charters 9 months ago

1. What did you see in a resource today that you think is an important feature for OER in your own context? I think some of the important features for an OER in Anatomy and Physiology are: ADA compliancy, good images, and organization.

2. How could OER evaluation fit into your local Community of Practice? I think evaluating an OER textbook would be quite overwhelming and time consuming but so would evaluating many "smaller"  OERs. Evaluating OERs would help to ensure the resource is indeed a good "fit" for my discipline.

Joe Faykosh 8 months, 4 weeks ago

I hadn't thought about ADA compliance too much in terms of textbook content prior to beginning this OER journey, but it make sense for it to be front and center of anything we develop.

Jacob Gibson 9 months ago

1. I am in an interdisciplinary field, and the remix feature looks very useful for bringing information from various fields into focus for my students.

2. One of the ways that the evaluation process fit in is to help inform the implementation of class exercises.

Steve Ornelas 8 months, 4 weeks ago

Jacob,

I hadn't thought about the implementation of class exercises. Have you used them in your class?

SteveO CAC

Danyell Dahn 8 months, 4 weeks ago

I looked at "the habitable planet" there is a free for colleges even though it is creative commons. I need to look at it now. I hadn't thought about creative commons not being fee to instructors. I guess that is commercial.

James Love 8 months, 4 weeks ago

It's important that OER's align with existing pedogocial cannon and practices.  Moreover, it is important that align with particluar instructors oedogical apporaches.

I see OER's fitting into my community because they would help lower cost barriers from students and continuous refinement of pedogical content.

Khaleel Abusal 8 months, 4 weeks ago

1. Being able to rate and remix a source is vital because feedback is always needed and necessary even for the best experts in any field. 

2. I think the evaluation enables faculty to create a (small) database of the optimal resources. Furthermore, it allows faculty members in my community of practice to customize content to best meet the learners' needs. 

James Love 8 months, 4 weeks ago

I hadn't thought about evaluation and peer review for OER's. 

Shandiin Deputee 8 months, 4 weeks ago

1. The OER evaluation is an important feature. I think that it allows the creator to make updates that you can use in the future.

2. Other instructors within my department can evaulate my resource and I can evaluate theirs. We can make changes and updates according to the evaluation.

Adam Leighton 8 months, 4 weeks ago

I hadn't (really) thought about using them in peer evaluation sorts of contexts. Cool idea!

Alexandrea Stritmatter 8 months, 4 weeks ago
  1. What did you see in a resource today that you think is an important feature for OER in your own context? I love that I am able to remix.

2. How could OER evaluation fit into your local Community of Practice? Evaluations are always important. It can help keep information up to date, create collaboration, and use them as a way to determine whether we want to use a resource.

William Mathis 8 months, 4 weeks ago
  1. What did you see in a resource today that you think is an important feature for OER in your own context? - Easy access and usability of some of the resources for both teachers and students.

2. How could OER evaluation fit into your local Community of Practice? - As yet to be determined.  One of the reasons I am here to learn.

Ella Melito 8 months, 4 weeks ago

1. Collections of Non Fiction Essays - Can use as supplements in courses. 

2. Evaluation is important - especially from others who have actually implemented a source and can speak from classroom experience. 

Lindsay Masten 8 months, 4 weeks ago

1. Remixing content to change resources to better fit my own courses.

2. Evaluation maintains course rigor, which is so important in the design community. It's very easy for courses to slowly devolve into simple "how to use this software" credentials, and evaluations of teaching materials like OER help emphasize much needed levelling. 

Chantele Carr 8 months, 3 weeks ago

What did you see in a resource today that you think is an important feature for OER in your own context? -The Evaluation, remix option, and the ability to add content.

How could OER evaluation fit into your local Community of Practice? 

I look forward to implementing my own OER materials for my courses that I have evaluated, added to and remixed.

The important of reviewing references that can lead to other open resources and authors.

An OER evalution would be a great fit to our community of practice and the goal would be to form comradey between those faculty in specific subject groups and meet at least once a semester to review each other's work and "cheer" on additional projects to continue the OER work.

Nicolas Hanhan 8 months ago
  1. What did you see in a resource today that you think is an important feature for OER in your own context?  I think the reference list is could me very helpful

2. How could OER evaluation fit into your local Community of Practice? Introducing OER evaluation within our local Community of Practice could be a good approach. We could organize workshops or training sessions where educators collaborate to create evaluation criteria tailored to our curriculum and pedagogical requirements.