Definition of Accessibility

by Joanna Schimizzi 1 year, 5 months ago

Please reply below with your definition of accessibility. Include a reference to at least one of our resources along with any personal and professional experiences and knowledge.

Vicky Gavin 1 year, 5 months ago

Making works (documents, videos, images, etc) available to everyone equally regardless of circumstances and preferences.

I reviewed the Game Changing Technology video which resonated a bit with my experiences. Aside from my AS family members, my husband recently (at the age of 34) was diagnosed with ADHD, and it has prompted us to do a great deal of research on neurodivergence and how to incorporate these things into our daily lives to help us both communicate on the same playing field.

Millie Gonzalez 1 year, 5 months ago

Equal access, adapted experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXcQC_hGH5k&t=15s 

Marilyn Billings 1 year, 5 months ago

I can easily contribute to the learning and the work without feeling left out. I viewed the Game Changing Technology video.

Joanna Schimizzi 1 year, 5 months ago

I wonder how we help identify which parts of textbooks make "under-represented students" feel left out as they try to access the textbook.

Barb Ambos 1 year, 5 months ago

Perceivable - Operable - Understandable - "Robust" - POUR  - not sure of that last one.

Sue Tashjian 1 year, 5 months ago

Accessibilty means designing content and instructional materials, information, etc. that are usable for as many people as possible. The Game-Changing technology video shows how people with different disabilites are accessing the content and creating content with assistance from technology (i.e., voice recognition).

Marilyn Billings 1 year, 5 months ago

I wonder how we might work with faculty to help them move to that "ah-ha" moment where they deeply "get it" about the need for a variety of accessibility techniques.

Millie Gonzalez 1 year, 5 months ago

I wonder if we make it usuable, shall they succeed like their peers (eliminating roadblocks, leveling the playing field, making them feel seen)?

Minh Le 1 year, 5 months ago

I wonder if at the end of that video to show how a person with disability actually use the technology to interact with the content.

Minh Le 1 year, 5 months ago

Accessibility is

• The ability for anyone to gather the desired information 
  • The ability to then interact and make the desired changes
  •  The ability to get feedback
Joanna Schimizzi 1 year, 5 months ago

I wonder how students can use the feedback of accessible materials to track their own achievement and increased academic outcomes.