- Institut for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC)
- Health, Medicine and Nursing, Anatomy/Physiology
- Material Type:
- Lower Primary, Upper Primary, Middle School
- Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike
- English, Spanish
- Media Formats:
- Downloadable docs
Recursos educativos Castellano_low
Nanomedicine: nanoscience reaches the primary school
These educational resources have been developed so that primary school teachers can introduce scientific concepts related to the field of Nanomedicine.
The contents are a tool for teachers and are intended to be a guide for classroom work. These are contents designed to be adapted according to the needs and criteria of each teacher. They have been developed taking into account the spanish educational curriculum and can freely be adapted to other curricular programmes.
This project has been promoted by the Spanish Nanomedicine Platform (Nanomed Spain). Nanomed Spain brings together the main Spanish stakeholders in research, industry and administration in the field of Nanomedicine, in order to promote a common strategy to accelerate the development and introduction of innovative, more effective and personalized therapies in the healthcare system. One of the aims of the platform is to raise awareness of the research and potential of nanomedicine in society by promoting educational projects such as this one.
Different entities have participated in the development of this project:
- Funding: Ministry of Science and Innovation
- Technical and didactic support: Institute of Bioengineering of Catalonia
- Educational advice and pilot test: Gayarre School, Barcelona's public school for infant and primary education within the framework of the Aliances Magnet project.
- Original content development: Eduscopi
Nanomedicine: nanotechnology allows us to manipulate very small materials to build, for example, extremely small devices and robots (the size of our cells or even less). When we apply nanotechnology in the field of health, we call it nanomedicine. Nanomedicine has important applications in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases as well as in the field of organ and tissue regeneration.
The resource contains 9 different textual activities (all 9 in a single PDF file), grouped by age groups they are aimed at. Each activity has the description and objectives of it, examples, curriculuar content treated and evaluation proposals:
6-8 years old
- The league of regenerating beings
- To pass or not to pass
- A laboratory inside the body
8-10 years old
- When I grow up, I want to be ...
- Medical disciplines
10-12 years old
- Nanoscopic adventure
- The end of blood tests