Webinar One Discussion Two - Flexibility and Inquiry

by Joanna Schimizzi 1 year ago

During this first webinar, we talked about Accessibility (A11Y), Open Educational Resources (OER), and Universal Design for Learning (UDL). Some commmonalities between the three include flexiblity and inquiry. Let's connect to each other around those ideas.

Please click reply to this original prompt to share your thoughts and consider later replying to others.

• If materials are designed to be flexible...

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might...

• This webinar made me think more about...

Sam Zaza 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible, people will accomplish the goal they set for themselves
  • To make my/our materials more flexible, we might design it using technology
  • This webinar made me think more about inclusion and equity
  • If materials are designed to be flexible, this will help decrease barriers to learning.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might use more OERs in courses and well as multiple modalities of course materials (video, audio, text-based, etc.).

• This webinar made me think more about open access journals and the importance of providing access to reliable open access journals in addition to subscription journals within academic libraries for our students.

Robert Bowers 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible, individuals are able to complete their work at their own pace.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might use Accessible Educational Materials (AEM) with Assistive Technology (AT).

• This webinar made me think more about how we can be more proactive to making a UDL Design class.

Leah Allen 1 year ago

This was a great first session!

• If materials are designed to be flexible, everyone can use them without anyone being singled out.  It helps everyone accomplish their goals!

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might make them easier for e-readers.

• This webinar made me think more about the difficulties we have with accessibility at my instiution...especially with OERs.

Jerry Parker 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible then the question becomes flexible for whom. What I say is flexible may not be for my students or vice versa

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might consider the topic, the users, the space where it will be implemented, the intended learning outcome, and the resources available. 

• This webinar made me think more about the ever-evolving nature of OER and what can and cannot happen and what should.  

Katelyn Hadder 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I appreciate your thinking about fluency and flexibility as a two-way transaction. I also think it's important to note that accessibility, as a whole, is not a one-size fits all approach! Flexibility might also look like tailoring to specific needs, not just providing one option and calling it accessibility. 

• If materials are designed to be flexible, fewer people would suffer in silence when they are struggling. 

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might consider providing the same in formation in more than one format (video/audio/text/infographic)

• This webinar made me think more about how our team at UMGC is really motivated, we just need institutional support to make major changes. 

• If materials are designed to be flexible, people can tailor their work choices to their needs and be successful.
  • To make my/our materials more flexible, we might first consider a variety of needs and ways they can be addressed.  Then select tools or formats that support those needs.  Sometimes one strategy to address a need addresses many needs like closed captioning.
  • This webinar made me think more about how to communicate to others the value of accessibility and UDL.  There are misconceptions and beliefs that create barriers and I hope to find positive ways with my team to facilitate reflection and design process changes to support learners.
Jacque Taylor 1 year ago

Yes, there are many misconceptions about UDL and the work it takes to make courses accessible. It has been difficult for me to convince colleagues to make changes. 

Julie Engel 1 year ago

This webinar made me think more about how my students experience my class both in-person and online.  What do they struggle with?  Where could I provide more options for accessibility and more flexible ways of demonstrating learning?

• If materials are designed to be flexible they can then be easily adapted to fit the needs of ALL learners.
  • To make my/our materials more flexible, we might look for others to collaborate on it rather than trying to do it alone. 
  • This webinar made me think more about the never ending journey that is ensuring access to all level of learners. 

I love the idea of collaboration - that's one of the reasons I signed up for this series.  I always learn so much from other educators.

Jacque Taylor 1 year ago

Yes, I agree. We can adapt the materials to meet the needs of all learners. 

YiPing Wang 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Exactly to collaborate with others, to learn from others. I love the idea!

• If materials are designed to be flexible...more students will complete courses successfully.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might...train all faculty on UDL/best practices for accessibility.

• This webinar made me think more about...how accessible my course materials are to my students and how I can make my courses more inclusive.

• If materials are designed to be flexible, they may be much more usuable across a wide range for a variety of learners.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might first self-reflect on what is currently in use, and then be willing to incorporate AEM and some of the key points of UDL.

• This webinar made me think more about transforming how I can better engage students.

Jacque Taylor 1 year ago

If materials are designed to be flexible, students might be more successful in class.

To make my materials more flexible, I might customize web links for students.

This webinar made me think more about using sounds in my synchronous classes, such as applause, horns, and cheers.

Christy Leigh 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I like the idea of using sounds in your synchronous classes. Curious to know if you did use sounds, would you also open this up students? Would definately make for an intresting class! I agree with having materials that are flexible would allow for all students to be successful in class. 

Sally Baldwin 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible, all learners will benefit

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might consider multiple modalities and ensure accessibility 

• This webinar made me think more about so much! I am eager to learn more about accessibilty, UDL, and OER. Thank you!

If materials are designed to be flexible, it would make it easier for all students to learn better.

To make my/our materials more flexible, we might create video lectures with closed captioning

This webinar made me thing more about how we can incorporate OER into our courses to provide equal learning.

This webinar got me thinking of how structural inequalieties are present at every level of education - some of these inequalities happen out in the open, but some we don't see because they're consequences of standard practice or the "way things have always been". A lot of learners get left out of the opportunities that are made available to other students because of factors beyond their control: disabilities, financial barriers, variations in learning style and prior background knowledge, different cultural experiences, etc. However, these things aren't (or shouldn't be) the responsibility of individual students to adapt to or overcome.

Institutions can too easily become stangant and bogged down by strict adherence to outdated rules and norms, and often don't adequately react or respond to challenges and diverse needs among their learner populations. It's going to take intention and effort from people at all levels of these institutions to think outside of the box and be flexible if those institutions are going to truly serve everyone, not just those who it's convenient to reach.

Denice Barkey 1 year ago

If materials are designed to be flexible, they can be adapted and modified to meet all learners.

To make my/our materials more flexible, we might provide access to textbooks with alternative formats.

This webinar made me think more about the importance of our accessibility and disability services offices at our institution.

Kari Everett 11 months, 1 week ago

What way can we highlight what is available to faculty and students?  

• If materials are designed to be flexible, it creates more engagement

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might try to build our material with accessibility in mind

• This webinar made me think more about the deeper meaning of accessibility and how to truly achieve it in the course material

Diana Botnaru 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible...they can fit different needs

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might...learn more about technology options that are available to us

• This webinar made me think more about...how much goes into accessibility

• If materials are designed to be flexible, learning and engagement thrive.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might do a materials assessment and evaluate based on the UDL Framework.

• This webinar made me think more about how we design materials and the importance of backwards design--especially when creating OER.

Alba De Leon 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible it creates an opportunity for the instructor to assist the student where they are at especially if a topic or issue is difficult  and taking longer to learn. 

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might explore what is already availalbe in Canvas and consider the use of other platfoms that are better suited to provide access to All.

• This webinar made me think more about how access is related to OER. 

• If materials are designed to be flexible...then they allow various ways to acquire and demonstrate understanding. 

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might... proactively plan with UDL in mind and include more options for AEM with AT.

• This webinar made me think more about...how you can have accessibility with out UDL?!?

If materials are designed to be flexible they will meet the needs of more people than just those with a disability. To make my materials more flexible, I might want to try other AER options. This webinar made me think about how something could be accessible but not addressed by UDL. My colleague and I continue to struggle with how can something be accessible and not fit into the guidelines and check points of UDL? 

• If materials are designed to be flexible, they can accommodate inevitable variability.
  • To make my/our materials more flexible, we might ask students what they need.
  • This webinar made me think more about how I create barriers for students' environments, and how I can do better.

I like your idea of asking students what they need, though I think there are some logistical challenges to that. One is ensuring that we reach everyone, and another is scalability. The main thing it makes me think about, though, is how important it would be when taking this approach to make sure that the question closer to "What do you need?" (as you phrased it) or "What would be helpful to you?" rather than "What can we do?" The last question puts the onus of coming up with a solution on the students, while the first two keep the responsibility with the educators, where it belongs. The students' job is to learn. Educators are the ones who need to enable that to happen.

Educators have a better understanding of what might be doable than students, and have more power to effect necessary changes. As an example, I have had graduate courses with a professor whose standard policy is to allow one assignment to be late, provided he is notified ahead of time. As a student, I would never have thought the ask for such a thing. Additionally, as the ones collecting the information, educators are better able to see patterns in student needs and adjust accordingly than individual students.

April Akins 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible...everyone can participate.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might...increase learning in our classrooms.

• This webinar made me think more about...the overlap between OER and accessibility.

Kari Everett 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible...then math textbooks would be easy to read.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might... think about how math equations are written and said aloud esp in higher level mathematics.

• This webinar made me think more about... how to design pdfs that are readable.

Ann Jolly 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible we can more easily adapt them as needed for individual or groups of students; 

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might review the resources (books, LMS) we use and ensure accessibility; take advantage of resources of UNC Charlotte Offices of Disabilities; learn more about OER

• This webinar made me think more about the diversity of people in the world and the responsibility we have to ensure everyone has equitable access

• If materials are designed to be flexible, students can use them in a way that is helpful to them rather than a way that educators think should be helpful to them.
  • To make materials more flexible, we might build in multiple modalities of interacting with the educational content.
  • This webinar made me think more about how to talk to/convince other educators about accessibility and UDL, especially as it relates to OER. Transitioning to OER is a hard enough sell for many faculty. Adding in the thought that OER should be accessible, which might necessitate adaption and creation of OER rather than just adoption, will likely make some faculty more resistant to using OER.
Lisa Moniz 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Hi Sarah, I know what you mean about OER being a "hard sell"to some faculty, but hopefully the ability to revise and redistribute teaching materials can be viewed as an advantage to teaching rather than a barrier. I think it is all in how we present it. But I definitely agree that things should happen one step at a time. A faculty member who is building an OER course would be overwhelmed trying to consider all the accessibility issues at once.

·  If materials are designed to be flexible, a greater number of students, regardless of their abilities, will have access to quality education and learning.

·  To make my/our materials more flexible, we might offer several different formats to meet the needs of those with different learning styles and accessibility needs (i.e., videos with closed captioning, audio material with transcripts, images with high contrast colors, documents that are ADA enabled and appropriately organized).

·  This webinar made me think more about starting from the ground when creating and remixing OER materials that support ADA compliance and Universal design.

Lisa Moniz 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible... the possibilities are endless and the materials can be adapted in ways to reach everyone! 

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might... do something as simple as changing a font to be clearer or larger. We could create a lecture video out of a textbook chapter and add captions. We could convert a document into text to speech, add descriptions to images, turn a video into an interactive quiz, rearrange an open textbook to only display the chapters being discussed. Assistive technology can be utilized with most anything!

• This webinar made me think more about... The importance of DEI and how those ideals impact learning and are nonnegotiable. 

• If materials are designed to be flexible, they will make learning more accessible and easier not only for those with disabilities, but to everyone. 

• To make my materials more flexible, we might need to convert a PDF textbook into other alternative documents, add subtitles to videos, among other things.

• This webinar made me think more about UDL, I really didn't know anything about it and I want to learn more. I think today's webinar was a good start.

• If materials are designed to be flexible... they would be available in a variety of formats, increasing the chances of engagement, as well as the modes of interaction. 
  • To make my/our materials more flexible, we might... consider publishing systems such as Pandoc that allow a variety of formats to stem from one root file. 
  • This webinar made me think more about... how design with accessibility in mind it is a gift to everyone. I am a bicyclist and I am thankful to curb cuts everyday! 

Mona Calhoun 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible, by default they should be accessible to everyone.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might create documents in various formats (HTML and PDF) and check accessibility as they are being developed. 

• This webinar made me think more about what was missing in my course design and the resources used to teach content.

If materials are designed to be flexible they can provide pathways to opportunities and experiences for all learners to access, engage, and learn. 

To make our materials more flexible, we might implement the UDL framework to address the barriers that we identify related to goals, methods, materials, and assessments, 

This webinar made me think more about accessibility versus useability and also the fact that free is not synonymous with open!

Callie Martin 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible, they will reach a broader audience and better support individual learning.
  • To make my/our materials more flexible, we might include a variety of accessible formats.
  • This webinar made me think more about my goal to eventually pivot to working in digital accessibility and what that might look like.
Jenny Yap 1 year ago

If materials are designed to be flexible...we don't have to remediate them later.

To make my/our materials more flexible, we might...use an OER creation platform that is responsive to the author's changes.

This webinar made me think more about...how making things accessible is good for everyone and not just for people who are tagged as having a disability.

Tanya Thomas 1 year ago

If materials are designed to be flexible we can eliminate barriers to learning so that content can be accessed, understood and used to the greatest extent possible by all people regardless of ability.

To make my materials more flexible, I might present information and content in different ways, differentiate the ways that students can express what they know, and offer students different ways to engage. In terms of Library instruction it might look like the following:

• Engagement (WHY)
    • Invite students to browse along with you or just watch – if just watching provide detailed outline with steps discussed in class that they can use as a reference point later
    • Self-assessment – ask what they think at the beginning, repeat at the end of the session
  • Representation (WHAT)
    • provide editable slides or notes so students can follow along, adjust fonts, size, etc.
    • Provide alternative materials that explain the same things in different ways
    • Make available in other languages
    • Use combo of text, diagrams, illustrations, videos, images, charts, etc.
    • Vary instruction method – slides, lecture, polling, group activities
    • Videos with captions and transcripts
    • Use alt-text
    • Provide glossary of terms of art
  • Action & Expression (HOW)
    • Allow students to type responses instead of speaking
    • Allow students to remain seated instead of standing up
    • Allow students to choose their own partners or group members

This webinar made me think more about how to implement these new ideas myself, but also how to get others in my organization to follow suit.

Laurie Latvis 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Tanya,

You stated: If materials are designed to be flexible we can eliminate barriers to learning so that content can be accessed, understood and used to the greatest extent possible by all people regardless of ability.

This is something we need to make sure that we adhere to so everyone has the ability to learn without barriers. Your suggestions for Library instruction were thought provoking and a great beginning. 

Thank you for sharing.

1. If materials are designed to be flexible, the teacher and all of the students will benefit.

2. To make my/our materials more flexible, we might initiate conversations with students about what we are doing well and where they ran into issues we can fix.

3. This webinar made me think more about common sense approaches to accessibility and how to implement small steps that can help while working on the larger issues.

If materials are designed to be flexible, we can edit them to meet the needs of diverse learners, and many different courses.

To make my/our materials more flexible, we might be sure to discourage faculty authors of OER not to use the ND in their Creative Commons license, so that others may revise and remix their work.

This webinar made me think more about UDL and graduate course work. Graduate students are supposed to be self-motivated and self-regulated. However, I can see the advantages to inspiring students with the “why” behind the value of a body of knowledge or practice. I wonder though, how much we need to offer multiple means of expression in assignments for graduate students who are taking research oriented courses that mostly require writing, analysis of research articles, and critical thinking.

Julie Moser 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible they meet learners where they are at and help them improve their learning strategies and awareness 

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might ensure multiple formats are available at the outset 

• This webinar made me think more about they ways our team can collaborate to solve common desires / opportunities

Thanks for this opportunity! - Julie

• If materials are designed to be flexible, all people can benefit.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might... create initiatives to promote and educate faculty and instructional designers on current UDL and a11y practices.

• This webinar made me think more about...the integral relationship between UDL and accessibility.

Tony Wohlers 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible, we facilitate an inclusive learning environment.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we are more likely to address the needs of diverse learners.

• This webinar made me think more about the the significance and impact of accessibility in relation to retention and program completion.

Claire Renaud 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible... every learner would be positioned for success (equity of use)

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might... implement a checklist that ensures that options are readily available to all students (UDL)

• This webinar made me think more about... the need to put the students at the center and to account for the uniqueness of each individual student

• If materials are designed to be flexible...they can accommodate a wider range of learning needs and preferences, making them more accessible to students with disabilities or diverse backgrounds.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might... provide alternative formats for textbooks and other instructional materials, such as audio, video, or digital versions that can be accessed using assistive technology. They may also offer multiple means of representation, engagement, and expression to support the principles of Universal Design for Learning.

• This webinar made me think more about...opportunities to improve shared processes around OER integration in courses.

• If materials are designed to be flexible... It will be used by many individuals.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might... have to make concious decisions around accessibility.

• This webinar made me think more about... UDL and how can I incorporate in my courses.

Leah Kane 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible... they will allow equal access and could provide a space for collaboration

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might...implement user testing from the development stage to include representation/guidance from lots of learners.

• This webinar made me think more about... what type of OER I am already using in the workplace. It also made me think about how I could use more OER when working with student doing Assistive Technology. It also made me question and review how accessible my work is and how I can make it more accessible.

• If materials are designed to be flexible it enables learners to achieve module/course goals but more important their own goals.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, I will decrease the percentage of text based resources and increase the percentage of digital resources.

• This webinar made me think more about equity.  I liked the quotes!!

Richard Moniz 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible learners will have more choices in how they engage with material and can select the options that best suit them.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might try to be more creative in our approaches to what we share.

• This webinar made me think more about how our library can support faculty and learners.

I think the keyword here is choices.  Choices open a lot of doors for learners to personalize their learning experience. 

Nice post!!

Richard Moniz 1 year ago

Thanks. In my role as an MLIS instructor I often try to provide choices every way I can, not just in materials but even as pertaining to assignments. I have taught undregraduate history courses and I find it a little easier to give choices to my graadute graduate students. Still, I think students at all levels though like options. 

Julia Osteen 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible, then learners naturally differentiate for themselves.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might design for the edges and extend to all.

• This webinar made me think more about how to encourage faculty to be more reflective about the materials they require students to use.

• f materials are designed to be flexible, all students will benefit.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might help more students reach their goals.

• This webinar made me think more about being intentional about equity and inclusion.

Emily Scida 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible, all users can access and engage with them in that way that they prefer/need to be successful.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might integrate UDL principles from the beginning of the design process, offering options to users for access and engagement. 

• This webinar made me think more about the importance of empowering all learners.

If materials are designed to be flexible then they should be flexible for everyone.

To make our materials more flexible, we might consider various formats for providing those materials.

This webinar made me think more about the physical challenges students might face when attempting to access course materials and completing assignments.

• If materials are designed to be flexible there is equity in accessibility and therefore enggaement

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might adesign it so everyone can 'read' it (read, listen, watch)

• This webinar made me think more about auditing my lessons/materials to ensure accessibility is built in from the start

• If materials are designed to be flexible, we can adapt them to our particular students.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might post them online in an editable format.

• This webinar made me think more about what OER is and isn't.

R Riggs 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible... more students would have positive academic outcomes.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might...rethink our current teaching approach.

• This webinar made me think more about... UDL.

• If materials are designed to be flexible, we can ensure more learners meet the learning objectives.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might provide as many resources as possible.

• This webinar made me think more about how I can provide examples to help faculty understand these concepts so they can be more easily implemented.

Best example of material flexibility would be UDL. UDL is a flexible framework that increases learning success for all. One UDL guide line that applies to making material more flexible is to "make learning safe, welcoming, and accessible for everyone" This webinar made me think more about this phrase "the barrier is not in the learner but the environment"

• If materials are designed to be flexible, they can be made accessible and usable to all.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might offer a broader range of formats and resources to meet all needs.

• This webinar made me think more about how much more beneficial it is to make things shareable/open and allow people to reuse and rework things to fit their own needs.

• If materials are designed to be flexible it will be easier to adapt to unforeseen events like COVID.  

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might create an introduction on how to effectively use the materials. As a librarian, many of my "course" materials are provided in the form of a libguide. Students do not necessarily understand how to use this resource. 

• This webinar made me think more about thinking beyond just accessing and actually being able to use a resource effectively. 

• If materials are designed to be flexible, students have more control over their own learning experiences.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might provide multiple formats for the same content (video, audio).

• This webinar made me think more about, how accessible my course materials are to my students

• If materials are designed to be flexible, then we are able to adapt them in such a way that will be more accessible for the students regardless of needs.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might provide a CC license that allows others the opportunity to build upon our work. The opportunity to build upon the work of others is how progress is made. 

• This webinar made me think more about holistic accessibility, and all the various technologies needed and available for those who access the same information in different ways.

This webinar made me think more about...how I can use my role as an Instructional Designer to work with faculty to create accessible content with a UDL approach. 

I am excited to learn more about working with flexible content, what this means for an Instructional Designer, and how I might assist faculty with "accessible" course design using this flexibility. 

Debra Carney 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be more flexible, accommodations will not need to be made after the fact. 

• To make materials more flexible we might utilize OER materials that can be revised and remixed. 

• This webinar made me think about how when we design courses with UDL in mind, all students will benefit. 

Christy Leigh 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible...it can remove barriers and provides creates a more fluid learning environment where students can tailor it to meet their individual needs/learning style, ultimately enhancing the learning experience.  
  • To make my/our materials more flexible, we might...consider using alternative formats of testing, textbooks, note-taking assistance, etc.
  • This webinar made me think more about...how we need to be more proactive and not reactive.
Laurie Latvis 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible, barriers can be removed.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might make all materials accessible to all.

• This webinar made me think more about those with disabilities where education is more dififcult to engage.

Aerian Tatum 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible, they should be adapted for users as it relates to to different contexts and needs, allowing for greater accessibility and usability

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might consider the font, background, and colors used in materials.

• This webinar made me think more about accessibilty and access to learning materials. 

• If materials are designed to be flexible, than changes can be made on the fly, which can include marginalized voices and make materials more accessible
  • To make my materials more flexible we might publish them under an open license
  • This webinar made me think more about accessiblity and the difficult that many students can have when accessing materials

Stacey Murray 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible...then more than just the target audience can benefit.  Curb effect.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might...consider multiple access points for instructional material.  Closed captioning, text and background contrast, alt text for images can benefit multiple learners.

• This webinar made me think more about...using OER resources when I build Canvas courses.

Aaron Smith 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible, we can democratize education and minimize the barriers to learner comprehension and success.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might reach out to others for constructive feedback regarding accessibility concerns that we may not have recognized.

• This webinar made me think more about the specific areas where we can make improvements to our current materials to increase availability and access.

Hello Aaron,

I agree with your post that focused on minimizing learners' barriers. Yes, increasing accessbilty should be fundamental. 

Katie Mercer 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible, we reach and educate more people.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might create them using UDL techniques.

• This webinar made me think more about accessibility as equity.

• If materials are designed to be flexible...they can be accessed and used equitably by all learners.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might...(in a librarianship context) Talk to students and faculty both about what they’re seeing/how they feel that they are facilitating learning/ being the learner in the classroom, & what I might do to help find solutions to whatever capacity that is needed.

• This webinar made me think more about...accessibility, equity, and UDL in the higher education environment and how--as a librarian--I can help instructors facilitate this when they might not be familiar with the ideas (I’m a former h.s. teacher, so UDL is kind of baked in).

Hello,

If materials are designed to be flexible, knowledge can be shared across the spectrum.  Faculty can use these materials in a manner that fits students learning outcomes and makes their courses more inclusive and sharing body of knowledge, not only locally but globally.  An open license material is a perfect example where faculty members can adopt or adapt depending on the faculty's preferences.  Finally, if materials are designed to be flexible, it will create a practice of inclusiveness across nations and countries, generating power of knowledge for the next generation.  And to make materials more flexible, there is a need to put the learner in mind when creating course materials.  Finally, this webinar made me think more about UDL. 

Greg Thompson 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible, students feel both greater autonomy and owership of their learning.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might seek student input in the materials selection process.

• This webinar made me think more about how far OER thinking has come in such a short period of time and how broadly it's being accepted as a viable approach to instructional delivery.

• If materials are designed to be flexible , students will succeed. 
  • To make my materials more flexible we might incorporate varied modes of technology.
  • This webinar made me think more about how to create a more inclusive course platform. 
  • If materials are designed to be flexible using OER, then we can have a greater curbside effect through using multimedia addressing mutliple learning styles and be prepared to adjust to ensure all course learners have a resource that is useful to them.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might poll learners on day one and review resources in place.

• This webinar made me think more about how to better adjust what I currently have in place ⇞

• If materials are designed to be flexible it will help ensure that our students can acquire the same informaiton, engage in the same interactions and enjoy the same services. Equity is central. 

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might pedaoggically reflect on OERs in our modules and how we might actively plan for accessibiity in mulitmodal ways. 

• This webinar made me think more about how UDL and OER work together for equity. We need to think proactively about design features that support equity.  

Moriah Allen 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible...then we are proactively removing barriers rather than being reactive. The proactive strategy could help keep students engaged - especially in fully asynchronous courses. 

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might...actively consider how to leverage technology and apply UDL frameworks to those materials. 

• This webinar made me think more about...CC licensing. I appreciated the learner testimonials. Accessibility isn't a buzz word. If we engage in the right way, we are helping people live and learn in ways that truly matter to them. 

Keri Griffin 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Accessibility isn't a buzz word. If we engage in the right way, we are helping people live and learn in ways that truly matter to them

Love this, Moriah. Accessibilty has to go beyond a checkbox or a buzzword on campus. Unfortunately, for many, it doesn't. But I agree with you. That isn't progress, it is posturing.

Kim Godwin 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible, barriers to learning would be deminished and student choice in how they learn would ne enhanced.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might utilize OER, integrate technologies to promote multiple forms of assessment and learning resources (UDL)

• This webinar made me think more about, a reminder to continue keeping UDL, OER, accessibility, etc. at the core and beginning of all content and course developments.

student choice in how they learn would ne enhanced

Yes, Kim! I'm kind of a nut for student choice! I'm trying to be better about it and incorporate more opportunities for differentiated learning and assignments within my own classrooms, but I think it is the best way forward. Thanks for sharing!

• If materials are designed to be flexible, they are more useful to a greater number of people, which helps us achieve our goal of meeting students where they are in the learning process.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might incororate more options for assignment completion, offer options of video/video with captions/video with transcripts, or leverage technology to create more diverse learning experiences.

• This webinar made me think more about how far my own courses have come and how far I still have to go - curriculm design is an ongoing process and should change with our student populations and their needs.

I agree that we still have further to go, but I am optimistic that technology will allow us to improve without a lot of additional work on our part. For example, I appreciate that YouTube will auto-caption posted videos.

I appreciate that YouTube will auto-caption posted videos.

True, but we still have a long way to go on that front. The auto-captions don't meet ADA guidelines for accessibility, so we still have to bring them up to the next level by editing them prior to using them in a course. Still, I hope that the tech will continue to improve and put more tools in our hands!

Kate Neff 1 year ago

If materials are designed to be flexible, they will benefit all learners in sometimes unexpected ways.

To make our materials more flexible, we might evaluate where we are already providing flexibility (videos with CC and transcriptions, screen-reader-friendly text) and where we are not, and target changes to where they would be most effective.

This webinar made me think more about how to ensure that the OER we are developing are accessible to all learners.

• If materials are designed to be flexible...they meet more student learning needs.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might...explore technology options

• This webinar made me think more about...barriers of learning that I don't typically think about.

If materials are designed to be flexible, educators can better incorporate new materials that help solve weaknesses from previous classes.

To make my materials more flexible, I plan to organize units that include multiple ways to access the information, such as texts, images, and videos that complement each other.

This webinar made me think more about creative commons. I've been looking for the cc on websites that I have visited over the past few days.

• If materials are designed to be flexible, you are practicing inclusive teaching principles.
  • To make my/our materials more flexible, we might identify multiple formats of instructional content per course topic.
  • This webinar made me think more about starting a course build with a goal to give top priority to UDL.
Lindsay Page 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible...barriers can be removed.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might...think about what accommodations are commonly requested and design our courses so that accommodations would not be necessary!

• This webinar made me think more about...the importance and impact of accessibility, UDL, and OER all working together to create accessible environments for all learners. 

• If materials are designed to be flexible, they can be used for all types of learners. 

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might think about UDL and accessibility.

• This webinar made me think more about about the importance of flexibility in materials and how it can be used to create more inclusive and equitable learning experiences.

If materials are designed to be flexible… more students can access them and use them in a way that benefits them.

To make my materials more flexible, I might…begin the creation process by thinking about the end user and adaptability first.

This webinar made me think more about… accessibility from a disability standpoint and not just cost.

If materials are designed to be flexible, students can be more empowered in their learning process and thus be contributors to education rather than sole consumers of education.

To make my/our materials more flexible, we should engage in open pedagogy in which we increase access to our materials, and consequently, others can build upon them.

This webinar made me think more about how we can offer and apply this to other disciplines at my institution through professional development.

• If materials are designed to be flexible, then they able to be fully utilized by a larger number of people.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might consider different ways they could be accessed.

• This webinar made me think more about social aspects of accessibility.

Céline Healy 1 year ago

If materials are designed to be flexible they have increased accessibility potential.

To make my/our materials more flexible, we might use IT, e.g., Bookshare, Screen readers, Text to speech

This ebinar made me think about how I can make my teaching and learning resources more accessible and how I can engage my studnets in a consideration of how they can make their resources more accessible for their learners.

• If materials are designed to be flexible... students can access the information presented in a variety of ways - increasing learner autonomy, connection with the materials, and retention of information.  And if we're really lucky, transfer of knowledge to other situations and courses.  

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might... consider learner preferences, accessibility, and use technology to create.  

• This webinar made me think more about... about using more OER materials in my courses to meet my accessibility goals.  

Daniel Jung 1 year ago

If materials are designed to be flexible, the faculties can make materials in the way they want to teach!

To make my/our materials more flexible, we might include more students to reach their goals.

This webinar made me consider being more inclusive to academically unprepared students. 

Susan Puccio 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible, they address learner variability.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might consider AEM through purchasing and procument.

• This webinar made me think more about people since that is what accessibility is all about.

Niya Werts 1 year ago

If materials are designed to be flexible they should accomodate different learning styles with ease.

To make my materials more flexible, we might offer more "mode" options for students.

This webinar made me think more about how to support adult learners.

If materials are designed to be flexible, students can learn better because the material can be used in different ways

To make my/our materials more flexible, we might learn new things and collaborate more 

This webinare made me think more about the differentr needs of learners

• If materials are designed to be flexible, they will be more inclusive and equitable.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might consider UDL.

• This webinar made me think more about accessibility being the foudnation of this house we call leaning

Casey Heard 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible...it will allow more opportunities to dive deeper into the content and allow all students an equal learning environment from the beginning.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might...start with small baby steps that can be quickly incorporated and allow students to be part of the accessibility conversation.

• This webinar made me think more about...assignment adjustments and new activities that I can use to allow my students to discover more accessibility options within their learning.

• If materials are designed to be flexible... people can spend their time considering an actual problem at hand rather than trying to figure out a workaround for materials they can't use

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might... start by learning more about what makes learning materials flexible (or not)

• This webinar made me think more about... how adaptations made for the sake of accessibilty can end up being great for lots of people

Carolyn - I love so much of what you had to say here!

people can spend their time considering an actual problem at hand rather than trying to figure out a workaround for materials they can't use

Yes! We spend so much time reacting to problems rather than anticipating them beforehand. If we build as best we can with UDL principles in mind, it is less of a strain on everyone involved!

start by learning more about what makes learning materials flexible (or not)

I really love this statement, too. It almost feels like a question because it reminds us that we are better off if we don't go into things with assumptions. Starting with an open mind, being willing to consider how even our carefully designed and developed materials may not anticipate everything - there can still be gaps/issues.

adaptations made for the sake of accessibilty can end up being great for lots of people

A rising tide lifts all boats. Often I hear folks say it feels like a burden to make things accessible. At my least generous, I feel those sorts of grumbly feelings myself. But everyone benefits from universal design. Everyone. Also, our Accessibilty Director always likes to remind us that the disability population is just about the only marginalized group that any one of us could be moved into at any time. Some individuals may enter into marginalized gender groups, but anyone could become disabled at any time. 

Emilie Zickel 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible, all students benefit. Learner agency truly becomes our focus.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might begin our planning/brainstorming of content by considering the widest range of users. Often, we (or at least I) create materials by thinking about the content, or what "needs to be said". Instead, we can/should begin our  materials creation process by brainstorming on audience needs/variance in usage behaviors or users' diverse needs. That audience/user awareness should shape content creation; it should be where content creation begins.

• This webinar made me think more about some questions that I need to be asking in creating interactive OER content (quizzes, self-check activities that I am developing for my OER).  Additionally, I realized that I need to revise the ways that I introduce my OER in my class. I typically begin class with an introduction to the OER in the vein of "here is how you get to the resource!".  Instead, I need to take more time to show all students how our OER works, how students can engage with the resource in ways that work for them (e.g., enlarging font, exporting to a different format, etc)
  • If materials are designed to be flexible, many people would benefit from the multiple modalities.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might need to plan with accessiblity in mind from the start.

• This webinar made me think more about how society as a whole benefits from technology that first began as assistive technology or an alternate format.

Wendy Brame 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible, more students will be engaged at their current capacity and according to their specific interests.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might focus on the different ways that students learn and the different modalities for demonstrating that learning.

• This webinar made me think more about the barriers I might be erecting due to lack of awareness.  Is my font big enough for everyone to follow a PowerPoint?   Am I using vocabulary that some students are unfamiliar with?  Am I including enough diversity in my materials, both in terms of access and in terms of creators?  How much am I defaulting to how I learned and learn versus modifying courses to reflect new research?  What am I doing to connect with the most students possible by connecting my course matieral to their majors?

Colleen Quinn 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible, it increases accessibility and usability from the getgo. 

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might consider including multiple modalities.

• This webinar made me think more about how much often accessibility is overlooked.

If materials are designed to be flexible, all learners have an increased chance for more success. 

To make my / our materials more flexible we might proactively turn on all features of our  provided academic databases  as the default, instead of stating they are "available to turn on and use" if needed. 

To make our materials more flexible, we should collaborate with the institution's Instructional Design team on those resources we create and develop. 

If materials are designed to be flexible, they are more readily accessible, engaging, and personal to the individual receiving  them. 

To make our materials more flexible I might ask myself some of the following questions: 

- What barriers to learning are present, if any?

- How might flexibility connect to engagement and buy-in?

- How am I making data-driven and data-informed decisions?

- What are the learning preferences and interests of my students? 

This webinar made me think more about what this particular platform looks like within a training space. If we are looking to equip educators across our campus with accessibility training, what are the things we need to consider, as it relates specifically to OER as a platform? What does that roll out look like? 

Keri Griffin 11 months, 1 week ago

I love these questions in part II, Katelyn! I will defintely be thinking about these in the future.

• If materials are designed to be flexible, more people will be successful.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might look at how to better use our LMS.

• This webinar made me think more about how to best spread the word to all instructors across our campus.

• If materials are designed to be flexible... students can access them more easily and comprehend them more easily since it's not a one-size-fits-all approach.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might... consider ways to present the information in multiple ways (whether that be creating multiple documents or presenting information in writing as well as a video, etc.)

• This webinar made me think more about... UDL and how it fits into the concept of accessibility as well as how OERs can play a role in those concepts.

If materials are designed to be flexible it will benefit a lot of students and remve some of the stress for students and facuty. 

To make our material more flexible, we might consider the barriers that prevent students from successfully completing the class and we might consider using different modalites. Not every student learns the same way!

The webinar made me think more about EQUITY. (Everyone deserves a fair chance so how can we make it an even playng field for everyone. )

• If materials are designed to be more flexible, then students have a more equitable experience and increased opportunity for self-directed learning and autonomy.
  • To make my/our materials more flexible, we might provide multiple means of engagement, representation, and action and expression following the principles of UDL.
  • This webinar made me think more about the various ways OER can make learning experiences more accessible for students.
Claire Cook 1 year ago

If materials are designed to be flexible, they can accommodate multiple learning styles, giving all students the chance to interact with the material in a way that would best maximize their own learning experience. 

To make my materials more flexible, I might think consciously about ways to integrate UDL into my class materials, and make sure students understand what options are available to them for engaging in class materials. 

This webinar made me think more about how to make materials I already created more accessible. 

Misty Parsley 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible... everyone could participate in the way that's best for them.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might... think about all the ways professors teach, engage, and test students.

• This webinar made me think more about... the interconnectedness of UDL and accessibility.

If materials are designed to be flexible, more users have the chance to learn and create.

To make my/our materials more flexible, we might try supporting multiple paths for faculty so that they can choose an approach that suits their readiness as well as their students' needs.

This webinar made me think more about the importance of my team engaging to develop an accessible lens thru which to approach our design work. 

Mary Sides 1 year ago

If materials are designed to be flexible, learning would be more equitable and accessible for a greater number of people.

We could make materials more flexible by creating them using universal design principles from the beginning.

This webinar made me think more about accessibility and equity.

Kristen Cook 1 year ago

If materials are designed to be flexible, students benefit and instructors do not have be retrofit based on emerging requests for accomodations.

To make my/our materials more flexible, we might poll our students on what they need and pay attention to research in this area when making content decisions.

This webinar made me think more about the importance of thinking about UDL concepts as almost a daily practice.

Stacy Ford 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible, materials would be able to be used by differnet tech and assistive tech

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might think about different user types and how people would consume the material while in the design process.

• This webinar made me think more about the limitations about what UDL and Accessibility WCAG guidelines are consistant and inconsistant.

Heather Dodge 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible they are easier to modify by professors and users. 

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might provide them in different formats for different user needs. 

• This webinar made me think more about how many barriers there are to student success. 

• If materials are designed to be flexible, then a wider array of people will find them useful.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might, research ways materials have fallen short in the past. 

• This webinar made me think more about what more I can do to improve accessibility 

Lyn Berenato 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible...I believe materials can be created to be more flexible to meet students' lesrning styles that work best for them.  

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might...I have been trying to make my materials more flexible using audio books, videos to enhance the topic/s, provideing information to assist in assignment completion for example- Please read Chapter 1 pages 120 - should take about a 1/2 hour to read.

• This webinar made me think more about...to meet the students needs ask them about what is best for them with flexibility and inquiry.

Keri Griffin 1 year ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible, we can empower learners and instructors to be more effective in meeting their own needs. Learners who are comfortable with certain topics can skip certain sections or use them as reference materials. Faculty/materials creators can tailor materials to the goals and outcomes of specific lessons, modules, courses, etc.
  • To make materials more flexible, we might borrow ideas from the tools that most flexibly serve our needs in other facets of our lives.
    • I think about how I use a GPS. I might start the GPS from my home, but I can use the navigation menu to skip steps that I'm most familiar with, to recenter on where I currently am, to preview what comes next, and to see my route in multiple different ways. Using a map app on the phone also makes related resources easily accessible (nearby restaurants, etc.).
    • I also think about the way video games offer tutorial options. Players are often able to skip tutorial levels if they are comfortable with a game’s controls. Players may also be able to skip cut scenes if they are replaying a game. Games can teach us a lot about accessibility as well as many game developers are taking proactive steps to meet the needs of players (color-blind support, adaptive controllers, even arachnophobia modes are becoming more common in games).
  • This webinar made me think more about soooo much! I was having a tough time keeping up and couldn't seem to take notes fast enough! The phrase, "Nothing about us without us," is one that I was first introduced to about a year or two ago. It really struck me in a, "Well, yeah, of course!" kind of way, but the reality is that so many of our organizations can and need to do a better job of living up to this common-sense statement. How can we expect to effectively meet accessibility needs if individuals with disabilities do not have a seat at the right tables? I know that access goes beyond disability just as I know that no individual with a disability can represent an entire community (we will just be perpetuating the errors of history if we ask any one person to do so), but a plurality of voices must be represented at all levels within our organizations if we hope to provide more than lip service to the promise of accessibility.
Valarie Jenkins 11 months, 4 weeks ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible all users will be able to use them.
  • To make my/our materials more flexible, we might consider different formats and make sure they are accessible.
  • This webinar made me think more about UDL and ways my library can make sure we are doing our part to make resources accessible.
Laura Samuelsen 11 months, 4 weeks ago

If materials are designed to be flexible, it gives students the opportunty and confidence to acheive their goals. Flexibility is letting the students know you believe in their ability.

To make our matreials more flexible, we might consider all the modalities that are possible in regards to the class so that everyone is included.

This webinar made me think more about doing MORE and exploring options regarding OER and inclusion.

Mark Farris 11 months, 4 weeks ago

This webinar made me think more about the importance of Universal Design for Learning. How it truly is not just intended for individual students that need the accomadations, but for all students to have options regarding how they consume a course and learning material.

Angela Dunn 11 months, 4 weeks ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible...then it provides opportunities for differentiated learning and will support all learners.  
  • To make my/our materials more flexible, we might...provide a bank or guide of OER resources that will support course development.
  • This webinar made me think more about...about the way I discuss accessibility and OER’s with faculty. I also though about several ways to support campus with gaining immediate access to resources.
Raffi Manjikian 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Flexibility and inquiry are necessary for OER to be succesful. Materials should be designed to be flexible for all types of students. To make the materials more flexible, we should take into account accessibility, OER, UDL, but most importantly, what is necessary for student succes. This webinar, as well as other things, makes me continuously think about accessibility and UDL. Both are constantly changing and continuously advancing. 

Laura Gamez 11 months, 3 weeks ago

If materials are designed to be more flexible than they can help/be understood by more people. 

We might create different sets of instructions for different ways people understand assignments. 

This webinar made me think how we may unintentionally create barriers and how we can move away from this. 

Sarah Northam 11 months, 2 weeks ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible...

Designing materials to be more flexible allows for better equity for anyone utilizing the materials. If you put throughtful design into how the document will be used and the different needs students have, it also provides the instructor better time management, because they don't have to go back and redesign it later if needed. 

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might...

Utilizng tools that check and assist with accessiility. Such as in-house options in Word, Adobe, etc. 

• This webinar made me think more about...

Being more intentional with developing materails, being more aware of why I am choosing certain elements and how it might effect a potential user. 

Deb Barnhart 11 months, 2 weeks ago

If materials are designed to be flexible...then more students would be able to engage with the materials.

To make my/our materials more flexible, we might...utilize more OERs when appropriate

This webinar made me think more about...UDL and our current processes at South.

YiPing Wang 11 months, 2 weeks ago

If materials are designed to be flexible... inclusion and equity, not only for disability or someone with a specific learning style;

To make my/our materials more flexible, we might...evaluate students' different needs

This webinar made me think more about... develop inclusion and equity in OER. Meanwhile, as a librarian, I am also thinking about library-subscribed database journals and open access journals' accessibility and flexible

Suzel Molina 11 months, 1 week ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible, learners will engage in a positive learning environment.
  • To make my/our materials more flexible, we might make ourselves more flexible and complete a needs assessment and adapt technology to meet the learners needs.
  • This webinar made me think more about how to remove barriers and build bridges.
Melissa Elston 11 months, 1 week ago

• If materials are designed to be flexible, they will be usable by a far broader range of people.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might try to access them as a variety of disabled people do (using screen reader, etc.) and spot the issues.

• This webinar made me think more about how we might encourage that faculty approach materials from someone else's perspective during the creation process.

Liz Fowler 10 months, 2 weeks ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible, we don't have to fix them afterward - they're designed with accessibility in mind.

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might start using more of MS Office's basic tools. 

• This webinar made me think more about what our USNH team may work on together.

Rose Losoya 10 months ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible then all should be able to access without cost or technology barriers. 

• To make my/our materials more flexible, we might, remove any type of hinderance for students. Whether it be visual, cost, technological barriers. 

• This webinar made me think more about all the barriers I might have unknowingly set up by not fully appreciating all the needs of students. 

Paul Crolley 10 months ago
  • If materials are designed to be flexible, it offers more freedom to intructors.

• To make my materials more flexible, I might explore more OER options

• This webinar made me think more about the possibilites out there.