Reflect & Share Next Steps and Supports Needed for Leadership & Advocacy Planning

by Megan Simmons 3 months, 1 week ago

Congratulations on all of the important work you have done so far! Let's revisit and celebrate all of your wonderful contributions:

There are still a few other components of the OER Fellowship Planning Template that we haven’t yet utilized to develop our plans, including Analyzing the OER Landscape; Developing Policies, Guidelines & Resolutions in Support of OER; and OER Capacity Building. You are welcome to include these in your planning if they are relevant to you leadership and advocacy work.

Please reflect and share your next steps and any additional resources and supports you need to reach your goals and advance your OER work. Are there additional components of your plan that you would like to develop? Do you need to connect with additional collaborators? What deadlines do you have for your plan deliverables? 

Duane DeSpain 3 months, 1 week ago

The next steps for me would be to continue to currate materials to share with my department. Then, the vetting and molding of these materials to fit our curriculum and specifically our resources and community.

I love the Hub and material that can be searched. I think TIME is the most important resource that I will need more of. I don't really have other faculty in my department that are as excited about OER or using technology to benefit our students. So, the support I will seek out is from my dean and students. I will try a few resources with my students and use my dean as someone who can help vet. Then, I think that the editing will come down to me. 

I will seek out other chemistry instructors (here in Arizona and beyond) to see if they have anything that will make this job easier or success stories of what they did to accomplish what I am trying to do.

To deliver these resources - to move all chemistry to OER at EAC - I would like to have curated material available before the Fall 24 semester. Then, I would hope to pilot many of these with students during Fall and Spring 24-25. Then, a regular hub for all chemistry instructors fully available summer of 25.

Spencer Udall 3 months, 1 week ago

My next step is to adopt an OER for a Statics class to pilot in Fall 2024. As I see this turning out well, I will feel encouraged to make a bigger jump like creating my own OER for some courses.

The main resources I will need are quality homework problems and diagrams that are as good as the textbooks I currently use in my engineering courses.

Andrea Schaben 3 months, 1 week ago

Next steps:

Lead the common course build of the MAT 142 for the consortium (finish by summer 24)

Complete the YC course build for MAT 141 and 142 and share with the hub. (april 1)

Work with Matherton to complete the MAT 182 and MAT 183 transition to My Open Math for our dual enrollment partners and the consortium (summer 24)

Speak at the summer institue about YC's connection to the grant and some of the opportunities the grant is affording us to fully transition (May 24) OR

Speak with the peer faculty mentoring oversight committee about adding OER builds to new faculty orientation or to the mentor process so we can introduce new faculty to OER sooner (meeting this week with PFMOC/ changes would come fall 24)

I feel like we have great administrative support - but we do have Megan:)

Heather Leavitt 3 months, 1 week ago

My next steps are:

• Complete my current OER build of ECE/EDU 222 by April 2024
  • Present OER stories at YC's Summer Institute with Tara O'Neill & Andrea Schaben
  • Transition even more ECE/EDU classes to OER so that our entire AAEE is a Z degree! (deadline TBD)

Resources/supports needed:

• I would love to find collaborators to work with on an OER build of Math for Elementary Teachers 
  • I hope that YC continues to fund/support OER builds/adaptation
  • I also need to carve out time in my schedule to create and update my OER builds
David Morris 3 months, 1 week ago

My next steps include rallying all available resources, becoming very familiar with the resources specific to geosciences, astronomy, and physics. I will need credibility and abundant resources to persuade my target audience of the virtues of OER. On campus I need to learn more about the process of adapting and apopting OER. I am in a bubble, a one person Earth and Space Sciences Department. So I will need to step out of my bubble to learn the challenges faced in this process by larger departments. 

I also hope to include the larger AZTransfer community. I am still pondering strategies for reaching them.

Colette Marks 3 months, 1 week ago
  • At present at CCC there is really not a push to put forward a plan to move OER into the English Classrooms.  As a result of limited faculty involvement, I think expanding student involvement is a key to moving forward.  I will be speaking to my Dean and suggest the putting together a student survey.  If there are surveys here on the site, I will definitely incorporate those in the process of raising awareness..  I will add more to this later.
Mike Rozinski 3 months, 1 week ago

The next steps for me will be to map out my professional development plan and support for faculty to support them with adopting, adapting, or building OER. I will look to collaborate with those at the college that have extensive experience with OER to ensure I am meeting the needs of our faculty and enhancing student success.

I would like to have deliverables to begin the faculty development starting in August 2024.

I wll continue to look through the resources that I saved from the Commons relating to my work.

Eric Osborn 3 months, 1 week ago

Next Step:  College wide presentation to reinvigorate the fuming embers of funded OER builds.  Then provide a fail safe way to create OER so faculty will feel more confident in the process, allowing them to take ownership of their class.

Travis Catt 3 months, 1 week ago

Next steps: Identify OER textbooks for each of the remaining classes that I have that are non-OER, preferably before textbook adoptions

This summer: Work with our Instructional Designer over the summer and treat my OER adoptions/remixes/builds as a summer job. 

Monica Ketchum-Cardenas 3 months, 1 week ago

I have three goals for the upcoming year. Personally, I want to adopt and/or create OER for two courses so that all history classes at AWC are OER.  I plan to do that over the summer and fall of 2024. Second, plan to work with Tymmi to develop some OER training workshops that we can begin facilitating in Fall 2024. Third, An, Tymmi, and I will investigate what resources are currently available and advocate for an OER Committee or taskforce on campus that includes faculty representations from each academic division and the Academic Library. Our plan is to meet before the end of the semester to flesh out a plan. 

Tara O'Neill 3 months, 1 week ago

I will be sure to continue to encourage other faculty, full-time and adjunct, to utilize OER materials and continue to look for what is out there (since things are always changing). I will promote the 'adopt and teach' program at YC. I, too, will seek high quality OER materials and am currently working on developing an OER child guidance class. Finally, I plan to attend future training opportunities (conferences, meetings).

Thank you for such great fellowship these past few weeks!

Chun-Hung Wang 2 months, 1 week ago

My next step is to continue working on converting my two courses into OER for sure. And then, I plan to talk to faculty colleagues the benefits of using OER. What I learned from this workshop is to talk to people directly instead of just sending email. I will also encourage other faculties who already use OER to talk to people to join OER group. If there are more faculties feel comfortable talking about OER, using OER becomes a very normal thing in my institute.

Some adjunct faculties feel they do not want to spend that much effort to use OER. Usually, it is harder to see adjunct faculties on campus. We need to take more efforts to talk to them online. We offer courses from adjunct faculties because these courses are important (just fewer students are taking it). If we have more OER courses, our enrollment may have higher opportunity to increase.